Thinking about buying a JVT Racing Radiator off ebay? Read here!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ok. Here it is in a nut shell.

They wanted $219.00 plus $9.99 shipping OR best offer for the 2 Row. Being the cheap MKIII owner that I am, I offered them $180.00. They accepted.

On a scale of 1 - 10.

Price - 7 ($180.00 plus $9.99 shipping)
Shipping - 10 (Got it in 3 days and VERY well packaged)
Customer Service - 3 (Not friendly & EXTREMELY difficult to reach someone)
Product Asthetics - 10 (Great welds, nice luster, no bent fins, comes w/1.3 bar radiator cap.)
Installation - 3 (Plan on making your own mounts because the stock ones will not work. Also plan on doing an electric fan upgrade because there is no room for the stock fan and/or shroud and barely enough room for the hood to close. I also had to cut off two mounting studs in order for the Flex-A-Lite fan to mount. Installation was a lot harder than it should've been)

I've been running the radiator for a week. It's still fairly cold here so the setup hasn't been put to the tests of summer yet; but, so far...no leaks or cooling issues.

Questions...? Just ask...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
pics of the modifications you had to do would help - i might just buy a PWR again

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
No it is not the same, he got the 2 row. But if you look at the pic the top is square. You would not be able to put the round mounts on anyway. The holes are for the fans and shroud.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Supracentral;917964 said:
So basically it's not a Supra radiator and you have to do a custom install of a generic racing radiator.

Is it the same radiator pictured in this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JVT-...emQQcategoryZ33602QQihZ011QQitemZ320215855263

This ad specifically states:

Factory Mounting
Mounting holes are positioned in OEM spec locations for perfect fitment.

Same item or different one?

No, you're looking at the three row there and I got the two row.

They say that the mounting holes are in the OEM locations; but, mine weren't.

The Auxiliary fan mounts were off enough that I had to really bend and put a lot of pressure on the fan bracket in order for it to line up; but, I was able to get it to mount. Barely...

As far as the shroud goes...forget it...not even close!

Both were a mute point because there still was not room for the auxiliary fan, factory pully fan, nor the fan clutch for that matter.

Sorry for not posting pics. I'm at work now; but, pics will be posted tonight.

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
87 Turbo;918121 said:
I was hoping to buy one later. But might consider when pix comes up.

Yeah, I'm not trying to bad mouth the company or the product. I'm just trying to be informative. If I had to do it all over again...I'd buy it.

I just wasn't prepared to have to fab my own upper mounts nor was I ready to throw down an additional $220.00 for the Flex A Lite fans. I was forced to do the fan upgrade because it wasn't a drop in situation and I don't like to be forced to do things. Especially, when it comes to money! :biglaugh:

In short, save up your money because you're going to have to upgrade the fans and be prepared to fab your own upper brackets.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
or just buy the Koyo, PWR, fluidyne...

Ebay is getting flooded with these chinese radiators with a bunch of different names on em, but it's the same stupid square endtanks...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ok. Here are pictures as promised. Note my funky brackets. I used 20 gauge galvonized strapping from Home Depot. I have a buddy working on some nice ones though.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
CajunKenny;918586 said:
Ok. Here are pictures as promised. Note my funky brackets. I used 20 gauge galvonized strapping from Home Depot. I have a buddy working on some nice ones though.

It doesn't look to me like you have a lot of strain on your motor as far as cooling capacity goes as the setup looks pretty stock, what prompted you to upgrade your radiator?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
yeah never buying another china product again Lol only first world products from now on.

guess and go with descriptions, everyting is perfect and a dream item until you receive it

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
vas85;919032 said:
It doesn't look to me like you have a lot of strain on your motor as far as cooling capacity goes as the setup looks pretty stock, what prompted you to upgrade your radiator?

My stock one split across the top. Yeah, my setup is mostly stock; but, there are mods to come. This is my daily driver and my power goals are 350-400 rwhp. I'll be happy anywhere in that range.

I do like having the electric fans! All sorts of benefits there. :naughty:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
daneyan;919827 said:
the mods u made to it don't look that bad for the price.

Thanks! I'm not a metal worker in ANY sense of the word! :nono: Those brackets are temporary.

Yeah, for the money I can live with the way it looks. Good luck if you get one!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
IJ.;920114 said:
Most rads are rubber mounted for a reason (it's NOT a vibration thing solely)

My replacement brackets will be rubberized. I was able to use the rubber bushings on the bottom so I'm good there. :icon_bigg