the Lex 550 mod

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
I'm Curious about the mod in Q.

Hypothetical If I wanted to swap this Mod in And just use a DF 11 Wastegate and put in the injectors, The afm housing, and the 02

Does this call For a mandatory Metal Head Gasket?

I know a lot of ppl throw the Cometic under the bus but, There is nothing wrong with running the cometic with stock setup and the correct torque.
Adding the 3 more lb of boost to the 11 would be interesting.
Has anyone ran a cometic with this mod? If it takes getting the beast milled down I'll look around, but living in the stix makes it ruff.

I am genuinely asking if its safe, short lived, etc.
Haven't found a thread on it.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
Not sure what your other mods are, but if all you want is the extra 3 psi, why not just get a full turbo back exhaust and *optional* a boost controller?
The 550 mod is just there to fool your ecu so you don't hit fuel cut. That doesn't happen until roughly 12 psi. The free flowing exhaust will up your boost to 10-11 psi just by unrestricting all that backpressure.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
3" downpipe and no cat

That's all I have modded. Was running into fuel cut early on and was speaking to another member about porting the turbo to allow the waste gate at lower pressures. that helped a lot but there is still an occasional cut If I really get nuts with it.

I will need to look for some literature on installing the boost controller, I'm pretty nubbish with this so just want to be careful.

If I don't need the other stuff that's ok with me. I guess I didn't know how to ask.
Anyone just outright asking how do I up my boost, can come across as meh.

Have anything I can get started with on the boost controller? I have the exhaust already

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
There's a good article on here about Fuel Cut. I should do one on my website, but haven't yet.

Fuel cut is there to protect your from pulling in too much air for your ECU and fuel system to manage.

The 550 mod tricks the ECU and fuel system into allowing more fuel to flow. This is normally fine, but there's potential to do some real damage to the motor. At a BARE MINIMUM you should have an AFR gauge so you can track your AFRs. Ideally, the 550 mod is paired with an upgraded fuel pump and a piggyback ECU to help dial it in. MHG is a good idea once you start going beyond the fuel cut limit, but not required by any means. Remember, MHG generally means a full, block stripped rebuild.

Fuel cut sucks, but it's there for a reason. You can get rid of fuel cut for a little while with just the 1UZ (lexus) afm and 550 injectors, but if you're still new to this you may just be playing with fire.

I'd focus on getting a full exhaust and boost controller. If you don't have an aftermarket BPV, you'll want one of those as well.

General mod order for dummies:
Exhaust - Downpipe (including elbow), cat, cat back
Boost controller
Intake - questionable on its improvement over stock
Upsized turbo - trimmed CT26 or otherwise
fuel cut - lex afm and 550 injectors, larger fuel pump, piggyback ECU - alternatively MAFT PRO and skip the lex afm
intercooler
etc...

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Yeah I've read the sites article on the cut a few times trying to kind of visualize and plan what I need.

I rebuilt the engine over the summer updated connectors and wires where was needed. Replaced a few parts I do have a specter intake over the stock, along with the exhaust.
after the build car ran amazing but if I hit WOT the boost gauge would just spike past 8 and FC after a few seconds.
Thats when I was told about porting the turbo waste-gate to help it on the lower pressures.
It definitely was a big improvement the spool would climb accordingly but when Really pinging it out in 4th it would FC around the 5k rpm mark <---this is a ruff guess i dont remember exactly.
It would just keep spooling higher past the 8lb.
I only ask to up my boost because I dont necessarily want more boost I just want to get rid of my FC
like it was stated it FC is around 11 psi how in the good lord am I smashing up that much boost on a 8lb waste gate? (the freeflow exhaust?)
ok I accept it. but now that's when I turned to asking about the mod, only to be done with the FC issue. if I replaced the Fuel pump got the injectors ( I have the AFM housing off the 1uz in my garage.) Is it still dangerous to just go with that on the turbo setup I have?
Is there an easier solution to this with just a new FP and Boost controller only?

srry about the ramble, and I'm really glad I finally got responses to this. I really appreciate the info guys :) I've been reading and reading and I feel nervous about adjusting anything without proper planning