Tennesupra!!!

Igottwormms

May 11, 2010
TN
singlessevilla-es.com
Hey people. This is Wormms from East Tennessee. I've been active on the forums here for a month or so now while I have been fixing up a Supra I bought recently. I've been waiting to get a few things done to it before I took a few pics to make an introduction thread so I'd have some good pics to post.

This is my second 1988 n/a Toyota Supra. Ever since I drove my first Supra I fell in love with them. I was lucky to have found my current Supra on Craig's list so close to my house. I wasn't really looking to buy a car at the time but I couldn't pass up the chance.

It was listed with new tires and said it runs good but when I got down to look at it, the tires had dry rotted after sitting for 3 years and it wouldn't start. Looked like the body was straight and underneath the caked on dirt I could tell there was some shine still left on the original paint. It did however have written on the timing cover that the timing belt had been replaced and got a new head gasket at 153k miles. The car had 174k so I imagined I wouldn't have any trouble from a bhg any time soon. WIth it not running and having bad tires I decided to take a gamble and got it towed to my house. 6 new spark plugs, spark plug wires and some fuel, it started right up (empty tank before). It had open pace setter headers and sounded like a beast lol.

To make a long story short, 3 weeks from the day I bought it got it looking an running like it is today. I found a few things on ebay and installed them during that time. I got a used set of tires for 80 bucks to replace the dry rotted tires.

List of upgrades and fixes:

HKS super intake - (previous owner installed)
Pace setter headers and downpipe - (previous owner installed)
Motegi Racing Universal rims - (previous owner installed)
Unknown manufacture Muffler - (previous owner installed)
2.5" Straight pipe from downpipe to muffler - (Wormms Install)
NGK spark plugs - (Wormms Install)
Clear front ebay blinkers - (Wormms Install)
TN legal window tint - (Wormms Install)
ATL Motorsports - ebay - Drilled and Slotted rotors - (Wormms Install) - (Super awesome and super inexpensive) 150 with shipping for all 4!!!)
Autozone break pads - (Wormms Install)
Ebay ebrake boot - (Wormms Install)
Autozone hood shocks - (Wormms Install)
Carquest / Sachs - Lift-o-mat rear hatch struts (part# SG229017 and SG229018) (I totally recommend these rear hatch struts. They had a lower ball assembly that would be easy to replace the struts again if needed)
Wal-Mart shift nob (yea that's right lol. All leather "Wal-Mart" shift nob. Fairly nice actually and only 7 bucks!)

I guess you guys are ready for pics now eh?

supragraff.jpg

supracorner22.jpg

supracorner11.jpg

supraside11.jpg

supraside22.jpg

suprafront11.jpg

suprafront22.jpg

srotors.jpg

the unknown exaust muffler. The baffle is rusted in so I need to perform some surgury soon lol.
supraexaust.jpg

rear taken apart to replace struts, tail light gaskets and for cleaning.
rearapart2.jpg

I wish I had found this forum when I had my last supra but what can ya do? Here's a pic of my first Supra.....yeah it's a little rough lol
oldfront.jpg

oldcorner.jpg

Anyway, I am glad to be a member here and hope to get to know some of ya while I frequent the forums. Maybe I'll even see some of ya in person when there comes a time. I would have loved to have gone to the Atlanta meet this weekend but I was unable to but I will try and catch one sometime. Take it easy!

Igottwormms (aka. Craig)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I'll say this before others do... Get rid of the aftermarket fogs and fix the stockers. Or replace the stockers with the aftermarket ones in or behind the stock spt. Will look better :)

Other than that, welcome! Looks like a clean car with minimal rust (from the pics at least) :)

Igottwormms

May 11, 2010
TN
singlessevilla-es.com
All of the fog lights do work. The drivers side stock fog light does have some condensation problems though due to a broken seal or something. I wasn't really crazy about the aftermarket ones either but I haven't gotten around to remove them yet.

btw heres a pic of the interior and you can see the shift nob :p

supraint.jpg

Last edited:

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
Reading threw your intro post it sound a little ricy to me, but looking at your pics, your car looks amazing. Hope to see and here more from u here on Sm.

Igottwormms

May 11, 2010
TN
singlessevilla-es.com
johnd;1583163 said:
Reading threw your intro post it sound a little ricy to me, but looking at your pics, your car looks amazing. Hope to see and here more from u here on Sm.

lol If ya listen to the exhaust it kinda sounds ricy lol. As soon as I can I am going to replace the muffler with something much better.

Next upgrades I plan on doing are front and rear sway bars, coilovers or struts and springs, racing seats and when I can I plan of getting a paint job on the car. Not too sure about racing seats though. I would like to get them recovered but It would cost me about as much as I paid for the car to recover the front seats. I plan on getting every mile I can out of the engine and when the engine has turned it's last piston I would think about doing a swap at some point but I can't say when that will be. This car will mainly be my daily driver so I plan on putting lots of miles on it. I don't want to put too much money into the car other than to keep it on the road and looking good but we'll see what happens. I would like to find another Supra with a turbo that I can mod to the max and only drive it on weekends. I am sure I won't find a problem sinking money into that one lol.

I do like a clean looking car and don't plan on putting stickers everywhere. I do need to remove the sticker above the exhaust which was put there by the previous owner. 3 Harley davidson stickers and a front windshield sticker from some unknown tuner web site have been removed lol. I am also thinking about removing the front license plate Supra emblem. I don't believe anyone will have any doubt that it's a Supra when they see me gaining on them in their rear view mirror :p

Anyway, good to be here at Supramania and I plan on sticking around for quite a while.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Cool I live in the nashville area, there are a few of us around here, but seeing a Supra (any model) still is a rare occurrence.

TRDaddict

Hey dude, I live in JC but my Supra sits in Knoxville awaiting it's resurrection day. Block, rods and pistons are at the machine shop....trying to decide between NPR piston rings and Total Seal rings at the moment....I got to ETSU and drive a blacked out IS300 on gunmetal SSR GT1 wheels. Hopefully I'll see you around. Josh

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Nice find, thats a clean supra. Although your right about the aftermarket headlights, if it had a newer bumper with round holes for the new foglights it woudn't look bad but stock it looks ricey.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
im making a trip to gatlinburg here shortly if any of you supras wanna get togethere and just ride let me know... we can drive cross state idc lol.