Temporary Used Car Problems

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Hello recently purchased a 95 Eclipse GS (I think) for 1000 as a temporary car to drive while we do the engine swap on the supra. I just wanted to list a few things that are wrong with it and see what yo uguys say. Posting here to avoid making account on DSM forums.

- Sputter/Misfire on hitting cracks on the highway. I believe it's due to broken or cut open wire in the coilpacks that shakes and grounds out possibly. Most everything seems to be electronic related on this car.

- Occasionally tach will not turn on, or will take several seconds after starting the vehicle to report the RPM

- When car is cold started or just restarting when only touching the throttle the rpm will jump to 2k RPM and hold there for a few seconds.. Same with driving it away I drive up to 2500 RPM and clutch RPM will drop to 2000 hold there and then fall down to idle. We've reconnected a vacuum hose and this seems to be less of an issue.

- Biggest current problem. When making a hard right, full tank or low, it will sputter and drop RPM to 200 and sometimes stall. I've noticed this has only happened on tiny hills like my driveway or a park way hill. I'll have to test if it happens on 0 elevation too.

- Battery is made 12/12. Sometimes it just won't start, no starter clicking at all. I just keep turning the ignition it will eventually start. And other times I have to plug the battery pack in and then it will start. Starter feels kind of tired I'm wondering if it just needs terminals or something?

Anyways hope you guys are willing to give me some tips. I've fixed quite a few already like stalling on a stand still when it's hot because they had the cone intake sitting right over the exhaust manifold.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
It sounds like your first few issues along with your biggest issue is wire related. Look all around the engine bay and wiggle everything possible. Double check all possible connectors as well.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You might shoot Steven (stevenr816 or something like that on here) a PM, I know he knows his DSM's like the back of his hand, or the tips of his fingers, as it were. :p

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Okay thanks. Yeah I figured it's wiring doesn' tmake sense why something would just randomly disconnect :/ But then again it's not a Toyota... Heee.