t4 turbo, or sp67 kit?

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
can anyone tell me which route would be best if i wanted 490-550hp 7mgte(or a 11 second q/m) going with a t4 manifold and the t66, or getting a bolt on turbo like the sp or boss kits? i dont wanna lag a whole bunch, and im willing to sacrifice some power if its a signifigantly quicker spool.

current mods (if it helps any)
1 peice aluminum driveshaft
lightweight flywheel
full 3" exhaust
hks MHG and arp head studs
AFPR
safcII
XSpower intercooler
2.5" IC piping
hks ssqv matte black
forge mbc

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
So what is the amount of money you want to spend? The bolt on Boss should cost less than the T4. Going with a T4 is like starting over, you need to buy every thing to change over. In the under 500 hp range I would tell you to go with the Boss.
Greg

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Toy-Rific;1130753 said:
So what is the amount of money you want to spend? The bolt on Boss should cost less than the T4. Going with a T4 is like starting over, you need to buy every thing to change over. In the under 500 hp range I would tell you to go with the Boss.
Greg

the money isnt really the problem here (i always try to do whats best for the car) i want atleast 450 to the wheels, but i dont want to be pushing the turbo to do it, im hoping to have the car running at that power level for around 120k miles(has about 20k on it since last rebuild), then i plan on rebuilding the motor with forged internals and push for high 500's so im looking for lasting power, however from what ive read the past few days the BOSS turbos seem to leave nothing but smiles for quite some time :)

so that said im pretty sure boss has my buisness coming to them soon, the only real question i have now is how difficult the swap is. ive done 5 ct swaps(3 stock 2 upgraded 3 different cars only 1 was mine) is it about the same task?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
the boss turbo is a bolt on affair. and it comes with idiot proof instructions with big color pictures. the only hard part is fabricating the oil and coolant lines. or what i did is buy the install kit from suprasport to make like easy.... they even put a numbered tag on each end of the lines so you know exactly where they go.
and you can get great customer service while your at it.
-pete

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
ahh. idiot proof is good lol. im not the best at turbo swaps but im not horrible
me + idiot proof instructions = should be ok :icon_bigg

this is prolly a difficult question to answer but the best estimate is fine with me, but how big of a difference in spool time would there be from the t04e 61 with the 360 thrust bearing vs the BB option? (spool time isnt too big for me cause i dont race much, but when i do i dont want to do the whole "explain to the little civic why you just lost" cause of lag lol)

Last edited:

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i cant give a good estimate since ive never had a t04e 61... but when i upgraded from the sp61gt (journal) to the 67mm Boss Series Comp Turbo (dbb), i noticed a difference. from my experience and from what i heard, the bb option basically elimates any lag to a certain extent.
-pete

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
sneakypete;1130801 said:
i cant give a good estimate since ive never had a t04e 61... but when i upgraded from the sp61gt (journal) to the 67mm Boss Series Comp Turbo (dbb), i noticed a difference. from my experience and from what i heard, the bb option basically elimates any lag to a certain extent.
-pete
how did you find that one in bb? i dont even see an option for it :dunno:
and are the comp turbos a little cheaper or am i missing something here?

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
I am being told buy CompTurbo that on the MA70 you should see spool about 900 rpms sooner that with the thrust bearings. Also the Ceramic Ball Bearings turbo now come with triple set of bearings.The third one being a thrust bearing to hold the bearing 's race together so they can spin as a unit.

I may have said this wrong
Read the thread below.

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Here is a statement from them which will explain it better.

CT3B ball bearing technology results in several important performance improvements compared to a conventional sleeve bearing systems. One important advantage is that the CT3B model turbocharger can carry both axial and radial loads so that the need for a conventional thrust bearing is eliminated. The power loss attributed to a conventional thrust bearing is proportional to the fourth power of the radius and can amount to several horsepower at the high speeds at which turbochargers operate. The CT3B is capable of carrying both high thrust loads and radial loads at the same time and usually absorb only fractions of a HP due to the anti friction characteristics.

Hope this helps
Greg Lipp/SS

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
suprahero;1131302 said:
What type of fuel upgrades have you made or are planning on making?

goin the way of the lexus afm. 550's/ lex afm/ walbro pump. already got a safcII and a afpr :). plan on picking up the turbo, injectors, afm, and pump from supra sport all at once, $2,7XX.00 XD

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
May I poke my nose in here, and ask why you want to use the lex? Why not look into better options that convert it to a map-based system? I am a fan of the Map-ECU II, have installed one in a mkiv and helped tune it. I was amazed at the capabilities of a piggyback, they include 2 step, timing control, full fuel mapping and autolearn mode. I also think they are working on a way (with software) to be able to do boost control out of that little unit.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
well actually the reason I was going to go with the lex was that my car came with one installed and ready to go. I would go with the map ecu (saw it on suprastore or dm, can't remember) if there was someone who had used it in an mk3 (7m prefered) and could vouche for some easy install and tuning. But wouldn't I need a lex box anyway to suppport the extra airflow?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
turbo87targa;1132089 said:
well actually the reason I was going to go with the lex was that my car came with one installed and ready to go. I would go with the map ecu (saw it on suprastore or dm, can't remember) if there was someone who had used it in an mk3 (7m prefered) and could vouche for some easy install and tuning. But wouldn't I need a lex box anyway to suppport the extra airflow?

Tuning with it is the same process with a standalone or EMB, log and go to your target AFR.

No need for the lex, it converts the car to a speed density solution. All you need is a pipe with a filter off of the turbo.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
foreverpsycotic;1136310 said:
Tuning with it is the same process with a standalone or EMB, log and go to your target AFR.

No need for the lex, it converts the car to a speed density solution. All you need is a pipe with a filter off of the turbo.

i think im gonna go with the stinger standalone. looks nice and sturdy apposed to a lex safc setup.