Swapping out ISCV internals (stepper motor)

MikeUK

Feb 28, 2016
Teesside, NE England
Hey guys. After a lot of work on the top end of my Supra I've been spending weeks working out the bugs, vacuum leaks, etc you get with a partial rebuild. Well they're all sorted now except one. I was having a strange issue where the ISCV would only work some of the time, clicking when turned off (as it should) again only some of the time. So I removed it and opened it to find the the stepper motor in good condition.

toyota_78.jpg

All looks good, then I looked deeper. Ugh. The plastic thread is snapped, which means it's never fully opening and it's the reason I'm currently getting a very low idle which won't open any higher than 400-500 RPM and turning on the AC kills the engine.

toyota_79.jpg

But I know a lot of Toyota and Lexus vehicles of the same age use the same 6 wire stepper motor configuration, only with different housings. There is nothing wrong with my housing, I've run all the electrical checks, so I just need the core replacing. I'm in the UK and I'd have more luck catching an elf riding a unicorn than I would have in finding an actual 7M-GTE ISCV so that is not an option. Does anyone have a list of what other vehicles use the same internals in the ISCV? I can count the number of MKIII's in the UK on one hand, but scrap yards are overflowing with Lexus'.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Supra and Cressida were the only ones from Europe with the 7M. Cross reference also shows Crown, Soarer Mark II and Chaser from Japan. You will need to get it from a 7M.

MikeUK

Feb 28, 2016
Teesside, NE England
Drat, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Just my luck that one of the most expensive and hardest to find parts breaks when I put her back on the road. I can still drive her, but the constant cutting out due to low idle is infuriating and embarrassing in traffic.

So the hunt begins! Thanks for the info f00g00, I'm going to keep my eyes out for the other vehicles you mentioned too. Hope I can strike lucky.

As an aside I did bump into a friend of a friend (who's just shipped in a Mk4 Supra Turbo to the UK from Japan) who said he has like five ISCV's sitting on a shelf in his workshop and will only charge me postage for one, but knowing my luck they'll all be for a Mk4. We shall see!