Swap no start

1toyotafolife

addict
Feb 8, 2007
Midland Tx
Ok just finished my first swap and I go to start it and it wont turn over. The battery light and the check engine light stays on with the key out, I checked the fuse and all are good. dont know where to go frome here? Please help:cry:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
You have to have some wires crossed somewere to have the check engine light on with the key out. Are the ground wires going to the intake manifold connected?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
1toyotafolife;908241 said:
are those the wires the starter?

There's only 2 wires to the starter. 1 from the battery and one from the harness. If you have more than that you found your problem.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
1toyotafolife;908955 said:
The starter is hooked up correctly ill take a pic of the wires later. Question does the water by-pass hose #3 go on the throttle body?
There is a water hose that goes to the TB and then to the ISC on the manifold. That wouldn't cause it not to start though.

Have you checked the timing marks on the cam gears to make sure they line up when the crank pulley is on the mark, the rotor should be pointing to the #1 wire.

When you say it won't turn over are you saying the starter won't crank? Or it won't fire?

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I need to ask you a few questions in steps to better understand what is going on.

Step1:
Does the battery have more than 12.5 volts.Under that and the car will have problems turning over.

Step 2:
Is the motor spinning over? Is the starter good?

Step 3:
Are the spark plugs getting getting any power?

Are you lined up with #1 cyl on the rotor inside the distributor. It's the one on the right side of the rotor. If you are lined up to the left side then move your plugwires one spot clockwise (Hmm wonder who did that before...)

Are the spark plugs good?

Step 4:
Getting any fuel? Are the injectors plugged up in proper sequence

Step 5:
Are you getting any air? MAF sensor plugged up? Are the other sensors plugged up? A loose connection will cause alot of problems.

Sorry for going back to the basics on you. I did not mean to offend you just trying to figure out what's going on.

1toyotafolife

addict
Feb 8, 2007
Midland Tx
All I have checked except "Are you lined up with #1 cyl on the rotor inside the distributor. It's the one on the right side of the rotor. If you are lined up to the left side then move your plugwires one spot clockwise (Hmm wonder who did that before...)" The motor is jdm so that may be it.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
1toyotafolife;909923 said:
It will start like normal but it just wont run!
You need to give us all the info so we aren't playing 20 questions.
It will start, which I take as, it fires but stalls out?
What is your timing set at, and did you use a timing light with the jumper wire? If you post again saying what jumper wire then you did not time it right and you need to read the TSRM. You need to confirm that all the timing marks are lined up, cam gears, crank, and rotor pointing at least close to #1 on the cap. Then time it using a timing light and the jumper wire to 10-15 deg BTDC.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
1toyotafolife;922427 said:
Well as of today im up and runnin. It ended up being the distributor cap needed to be turned 180 degrese. Thanks for the help :)

You better check the cap out, as I remember there's only one way for it to go on. There's a notch that it sits in.

Glad you got it running.