Suspension tech vs Tanabe sway bars

kazeyuki

Dec 25, 2007
Hawaii
so i've read one of the best ways to upgrade the handling on a supra is to change the sway bars any one know which one is better or... whats better then those? thanks...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
All of the different part numbers appear to have different diameters, as they all have different bushings associated with them, I'm not sure what exactly the diameters are, but I can tell you that the JZA70 Twin Turbo R, and the MA70 Turbo A sway bars (front and rear) are the exact same as the 91-92 North American MA70 sway bars.

Hope that helps a bit.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Jeff, thanks for the info.

Kazeyuki, like Fuzz said, I have been testing sway bars and will be posting up a bunch of data later. I will probably make a thread in this section and sticky it so the info doesn't get lost. I have not tested the ST bars yet, but I do have some lined up.

But as far as changing the handling, sway bars are very effective at adding roll rate without increasing the ride rate. Depending on what you're doing with the car, this isn't always the best thing. But for a street car, a sway bar upgrade with a slight spring upgrade is one of the better routes to take. For a track car, I would usually go with a much stiffer spring and a softer sway bar. But it really depends on the use and the rest of the setup.

Tim

kazeyuki

Dec 25, 2007
Hawaii
Hmm well i have a NA 91. so i guess i have the same sway bars as those, but are they better in performance...? cause the car likes to snap when i try to correct understeer.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
kazeyuki;878661 said:
Hmmm, i see i just want overall handling performance.

Well that still doesn't tell me anything. What spring rates are you running, what tires, how much does your car weigh, etc. That and a lot of other stuff is what I would need to know to tell you anything more.

Zumtizzle;879097 said:
My 90 Has these same bars you talk of.

Which bars? The 91-92 bars? ST bars? Tanabe bars? They were all mentioned in the thread.