Suspension please help

Mcar

Nov 17, 2013
Ontario
I bought a 1987 supra and they replaced the original suspension with coilovers and lowered the car but now is a very bumpy ride what can I do to make it a more smooth comfortable ride

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
All depends on the coil overs. If they have dampening adjustment at the top you can loosen those.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
The quality of coilover can play an affect on this as well. Also, almost every coilover you buy in the aftermarket will come with a stiffer then factory coil spring. This is what can give you a more "rough" ride. Depending on type of coilover you have purchased you can sometimes contact the manufacturer and get "custom" springs for the coilover at almost whatever spring rate you want.
Something to keep in mind, the coilover you purchased will be valved for the springs that they would have come with. Changing the spring rate drastically will result in you needing to purchase a re-valved damper.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Lowered = bumpy, period. You have less travel, so you need higher spring rates and stiffer dampening to stop from bottoming out. If you try to be soft, you'll bottom out making it even worse...