Suspension Overhaul Questions

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hello all,

I have been looking all over the forums and seem to be getting bits and pieces but trying to get a comprehensive list of what i need to replace.
The chassis has 214k miles on it and is all original as far as i know except for the coilovers and inner/outer tie rods.

would like to completely to through the suspension in one shot and be done with it and not touch anything for a while, i am open to aftermarket/OEM parts, not looking to go crazy with the price but don't want cheapo parts im going to have to replace in 6 months.

So far i have these picked out, feedback, alternate parts and missing parts are much appreciated as i know i am missing stuff here..

Energy Poly Bushing Set, Rear - http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-83127g.php
Energy Poly Bushing Set, Front - http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-83126g.php
REAR SUB FRAME BUSHINGS - http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-bpm-202-06.php
Spherical Bushings ( i need of these from what i understand?) - http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-sphericalbushingformk3suprarear.php
Steering Rack Bushings - http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-steeringrackbushingsmk3.php

Do i need new Control arms? i have read that front upper ball joins are not replaceable? how are the dorman control arms? any other suggestions? Control arm end links? stabalizer bars? Mk3 supra suspension is different thatn what i'm used to so i'm not sure what all would need be be gone through or can be replaced.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You would need front subframe bushings.

Also can get upper control arms and ball joints from rockauto.com

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
found dorman's for less than half the price, my uncle's run a repair shop for along time and has a very good rep. he's spoken highly of their products....

high performance is another issue though, I'd want to do some more research and get good input as to what exactly is built the best

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
Insidious Surmiser;1984594 said:
found dorman's for less than half the price, my uncle's run a repair shop for along time and has a very good rep. he's spoken highly of their products....

high performance is another issue though, I'd want to do some more research and get good input as to what exactly is built the best

Not looking to build something that is unbearable in the real world. Some mild upgrades for occasional autocross would be nice but primarily this is a highway cruiser that sees autocross maybe 3 times a year and once to the drag strip. I'm not real competitive in these events and they are more for fun. So what I'm looking for I suppose is quality parts that are going to last and keep the car from being unpredictable when I want to have some fun.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
Insidious Surmiser;1984601 said:
also might think about new ball joints and tie rod ends

Forgot to mention I replaced the inner and outer tierod ends already :) car wouldn't even align correctly without replacing those. I didn't replace the ball joints that the outers connected into, good point though I'll add that to my list.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
hm. I've heard those endlinks are fine, I'm'll wait to see if they snap :icon_bigg

I think he wants to cover the basics first though. Which is a good idea.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They can eventually snap. It's not a huge issue with stock sway bars tho. With stiffer sway bars adjustable ones are wise tho the metal link will work as well.

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
hvyman;1984592 said:
You would need front subframe bushings.

Also can get upper control arms and ball joints from rockauto.com

I haven't seen any "front subframe bushings" what exactly are these?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
same idea as the rears, and RonnieK makes them.. I would also buy rear bushings from him in lieu of the Beech Performance units from Driftmotion.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Have you verified you can actually remove your cam bolts? On my car those things were perma-rusted to the bushings and had to be cutoff. For the fronts I had to saw off the lower a-arms to get the bolts out.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
IMAG0383.jpg

3p141592654;1984712 said:
Have you verified you can actually remove your cam bolts? On my car those things were perma-rusted to the bushings and had to be cutoff. For the fronts I had to saw off the lower a-arms to get the bolts out.

just did mine last night with a torch.

were rear spherical bushings brought up? im glad i replaced mine even though they had no play, i feel a lot more confident about my suspension now, just gotta do ball joints/sway bars and subframe bushings

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya mine are seized. Not looking forward to doing them. My rear sphericals also have play.

What did you use for the spherical bushings? I was thinking a socket and a pulled to press them out on the car.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Communistwookie;1985794 said:
If you find out let me know as I have been eyeing them on rock auto they seem well priced but don't know about the quality

My concern is with the ball joint. I would replace the bushings with Energy Suspension.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Seems like a lot of work to replace all the bushings, you should just us know how much of a difference it makes. My car only has like 150,000 km's but it seems to be fine but I heard they can make a huge difference for autocross. I have tein coilovers and ST sway bars on my car. The coilovers are set nicely but it was the swaybars I noticed the biggest difference with, it takes out like 40% of the bodyroll when cornering so you feel tight to the ground. I also bought new rear endlinks as I believe this is where more of the stress is. If my fronts break I will be looking at some beechperformance ones though.

As for the whiteline sway bars they're top of the line. I believe you can search for the chart in showing the differences between a couple brands and they come out on top but are also the most expensive. But if your not serious on racing just putting any sway bar on will make a noticeable difference.