Supra Stick V4 Speed Signal

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Hello all, i have installed my SSv4 tranny controller and i have been trying to find a suitable speed signal for it.

I have tried using the ECT output from the ABS sensor with not so good results. i have also tried the rear ABS sensor on the transmission with also not so good results.

It seems both signals work fine at low speed conditions but when i get up around 70-80+mph the signal quality gets degraded and causes the MPH reading to jump around eraticly.

The MPH reading will jump from 70-80 to 20-30 quickly, causing the converter to unlock and it to sometimes jump down to second gear, Good thing its on a one way sprag huh!

Anyway i was wondering what some of the other Supra stick users were using and how it was working for them.

Thanks,
Dan

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea me and Ian were discussing the issue and came to a solution.

The issue is the speed sensor in both the combination meter and the tranny are very low quality. Really only good for simple devices.

The abs sensor is of good quality but the tooth count is too high for the SSv4 to read at highway speeds much above 70-80mph.

The solution is a speedo recalibration box that can scale the frequency of the pulses down. So for every two pulse the abs sensor generates it will output one. This makes it easier for the SSv4 to use the signal and should remedy the issue.

EDIT: IJ beat me to it.

Anyone else have any issues with this or a workaround?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Hmm......
Car does not have ABS. :aigo:

Going to head dive into TSRM now to see how I get out of this one.

PS, thanks to both of you!
I hate stumbling acoss stuff like this during an install.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The normal non ABS sensor is a 2 tooth Reed switch that tends to "bounce", there's another 4 pulse Reed behind the Speedo that can be used but it's bouncy as well.

You could fit an ABS Hall sensor and remove some teeth from the Shutter while you have it apart.

I'm quite happy to source the JayCar kits and ship them if all the costs are covered as I have a store 5 minutes from here.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Here is how I cut my signal frequency in half.
Cut off every other tooth (32 to 16).

sm_photo_missing.jpg

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Hm.......

Just got this from Latent Solutions:
"actually the more pulses per revolution, the better...
Best regards,
Garrett"

So I will try what I have, and go from there.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
gofastgeorge;1514227 said:
Hm.......

Just got this from Latent Solutions:
"actually the more pulses per revolution, the better...
Best regards,
Garrett"

So I will try what I have, and go from there.
Yep right up until the SSv4 gets confused and can't count that high ;)