Supra N/A T Questions

mk34lyf

Mar 26, 2008
florida
I have a few questions.
1) How many gears is the manual transmission version?
2) What are all the differences of the 2JZGTE TT version?
3) To swap a 2jzgte in, do I just take out the 2jzge and put the gte directly in its place, no modifications? How easy is the swap?
4) What would the cost of one be (preferibly 1998)?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
NA supra ~15k
JDM swap ~8k(v161, complete powertrain)

price of a TT with better cams and turbos 22k

Mind you, im not talking 98s

Interex

Mar 30, 2005
Houston, TX
mk34lyf;990792 said:
I have a few questions.
1) How many gears is the manual transmission version?
Turbo - 6, Non-turbo - 5

2) What are all the differences of the 2JZGTE TT version?

USDM, JDM, & JDM w/VVT-i
  • Cams differ from each version. The USDM cams will make the most power
  • Stock twin turbos are different from USDM to JDM. The JDM turbos have ceramic wheels while the USDM have steel. Like the cams, the USDM twins will make the most power.
  • Injectors are larger on the USDM compared to the JDM.
  • Wiring harnesses (obviously)
You've also got to look at what car the engine is coming out of. Most of the JDM 2JZ's coming over will be out of Aristo's. These use a front sump oil pan and have some other minor differences from Supra 2JZ-GTE's.

3) To swap a 2jzgte in, do I just take out the 2jzge and put the gte directly in its place, no modifications? How easy is the swap?
The swap is quite involved. With the right parts, yes it will drop right in. You'll have to make some minor modifications to your wiring harness but it's actually just 1 connector. You'll need to swap out to a TT tachometer. Additionally, you will need to swap your rear end in order to get the gear ratio's correct.

4) What would the cost of one be (preferibly 1998)?
Depends a lot on where you get your parts. JDM TT motor out of an Aristo can be had for around $3500 with an automatic transmission. All the other parts will add up though. Plan on spending at least $10k.