Suggestions for mounting a Maft pro

Spyder96

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Hi, I am looking for suggestions, ideas or methods other have used to mount the maft pro unit and for running the harnesses thru the firewall. The unit is a little bigger then I expected and with all the harnesses hooked up it looks a little cumbersome. :aigo: Anybody have any install ideas? Also any ideas where to find a 3/8 npt weld in bung for the intake temp sensor?

Thanks
Fred

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
If you are running a 1/2 height headunit where the stock stereo unit used to be, there's a handy space to put the maftpro. I used one of those generic plastic headunit mounting kits to hold my new headunit at the top of the space, and the maftpro slots in perfectly below it.

I just pull the maftpro out a bit whenever I want to see stuff or make changes. I might snap a pic of this when my car is back on the road.

Spyder96

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if I really need to mount it or not. I guess once you have it dialed in, you probably do not need it out in the open. Plus, with all the wires coming out of the top, I don't think it would look that great.

Where did you go thru the firewall, I really don't like the idea of drilling thru it but I guess there is no other way. I think I'll go next to, or under the existing wiring harness hole. A grommet and butyl should seal it.

Fred

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
I love being able to check the SensorMonitor when I'm stopped at a light. But each to his own. The wires are not visible on my setup.

Anyway, you don't need to cut the firewall! Just make a small slit in the rubber where the existing harness goes through the firewall on the passengers side of the engine bay, and feed your wires through there.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Spyder96;1086742 said:
Also any ideas where to find a 3/8 npt weld in bung for the intake temp sensor?
Fred

I would make my own a lathe, out of 6061 alum. But I am guessing summit racing, call them it's a free phone call, or just google it if I were to buy one.

GL

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
greg88;1102624 said:
I let mine swang free in the glove box. I think most adjustments will be made while the car is stationary anyway.

Ditto.

JimR;1104099 said:
I love being able to check the SensorMonitor when I'm stopped at a light. But each to his own. The wires are not visible on my setup.

Anyway, you don't need to cut the firewall! Just make a small slit in the rubber where the existing harness goes through the firewall on the passengers side of the engine bay, and feed your wires through there.

And 2 more dittos! My harness is long enough in the glove box that I can pull it out and use it from the drivers seat, but I can just leave it in the hidden in the glovebox as well

I also ran my Maft wiring through the factory ECU wiring grommet, but my engine wasn't even in the bay at the time, so it was quite abit easier ;)

I will also be able to plug my laptop into either the Maft or LC-1 while everything is nicely tucked away in the glovebox:

(these will be hidden)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
92nsx;1104108 said:
I would make my own a lathe, out of 6061 alum. But I am guessing summit racing, call them it's a free phone call, or just google it if I were to buy one.

GL
Isn't it the same size as a 0-2 bung?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Well, given that I've got a N/A I just drilled and tapped my intake piping for the IAT.... of course some turbo guys have done that too. Otherwise, if your intake piping is steel, you could get a brass plumbing fitting brazed on.

My MAFT Pro's in my glove box too. I recommend you make sure to keep the SensorMonitor selected when you're not tuning... it'd suck to have a critical setting changed on the highway just because some crap in the glove box hit a button.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i ran the wires from the sensors in the engine bay through the hole in the firewall where the throttle cable goes. then i ran the wires past the shifter to my center console. i keep it in there when im not driving, and leave it out when i do.
i mounted the wideband sensor on my test pipe, and drilled a hole through the floor and mounted the wideband controller under the passenger seat. then ran the wires from that to the maftpro wiring by the ecu.

-pete

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
As others have said there is plenty of room in the firewall for all the harnesses. As far as where to put it, I have mine where my ashtray used to be. Good fit, but lays almost flat. There is enough angle though for me to view the display if I lean over a bit. On a hard launch it tends to slide out. Not in the way of the shifter, just enough to be annoying. Also I can hook up my laptop cable, slide the display box back in with the laptop plug hanging out, and it's essentially wedged in. :) HTH

~Brian

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
Here's what my setup looks like...

The unit is lightly held by the stereo retainer so it doesn't slide around by itself. I keep the laptop cable coiled in the glovebox and just take it out when I need it.

Attachments

• Maftpro_pushed_in.JPG
    Maftpro_pushed_in.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Maftpro_pulled_out.JPG
    Maftpro_pulled_out.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 54
  • Maftpro_laptop_cable.JPG
    Maftpro_laptop_cable.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 43