Subwoofer for targa top owners?

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I've see plenty of custom fabrication for audio systems and especially subs. Are there any subwoofer setups that anybody has had success with while still being able to keep the targa top in the back? (and not removing the back seat)

I have heard some suggestions for self powered tube type subs from Kicker. Anybody have experience with those?

I'm not trying to be heard from a mile away. I just want some nice low end to go with the door speakers.

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
laotionracer101;1631688 said:
Bazooka tubes!!!! get two of them, Un amplified, run you up to about a hundred fifty a piece , but damn!!! the speakers are only about 6-10inches, but they kick ass! and fit under the targa while in the trunk :evil2::naughty:

here is one i found on ebay.. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Bazooka-BT1...Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item255d97d702

wait... they seriously fit under the targa??? do you have one? which size worked for you? I've been looking at the self powered 8 inch models.

I know 4's will work in the doors but will anything bigger fit without any fabrication?

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
I just have 2-8 inch subs built into a custom box. can fit the targa over top of it no problem and they put out a very decent thud when needed.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
My brother rebuilt my trunk deck so that the sub is recessed into the spare tire compartment. Targa fits over nicely, and a mk4 spare fits as well. Just not a full size spare. Check my sig link for pictures.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
salomon68;1631696 said:
wait... they seriously fit under the targa??? do you have one? which size worked for you? I've been looking at the self powered 8 inch models.

I know 4's will work in the doors but will anything bigger fit without any fabrication?

haha, i didnt personaly run them, it was my uncle's he had two in his mk4, and yes they fit under the targa, gotta strap them down though!

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
Bazooka tubes!!!! get two of them, Un amplified, run you up to about a hundred fifty a piece , but damn!!! the speakers are only about 6-10inches, but they kick ass! and fit under the targa while in the trunk :evil2::naughty:

here is one i found on ebay.. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Bazooka-BT1...Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item255d97d702
i agree with getting bazooka tubes, had 2 alpine types in 2 bazooka tubes and they fit right under the targa, and u can still keep ur spare tire, except i ran an amplifier to them and they hit hard

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Seems everyone's got the sub question taken care of, onto your door speaker question. I had bought Polk db401's for my doors and db501's for the hatch. Test fit the 501's in the door pods, they fit perfectly. Not a whole lot of improvement, but not much more money either. If you want better sound up front, invest in the KevinM speaker pod replicas. 6.5" of component bliss will really change the way your stereo sounds (as in, you can actually *hear* it in a car with a 3" exhaust). Hope this helps. :)

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
i replacated the false floor out of mdf and sunk a box into the spare tire hole just far enough that it sits on top of the hold down for the spare tire it sits nicely on the stock little metal brackets and theres room on the bottom of the false floor to the right of the box that you can mount the amp i cut a hole in the top pealed all the foam off the bottom of the carpet in the back drilled a whole in the botom of the box put a bolt through it into the spare tire mount to hold it down and be hidden so its hard for sneaky crooks to take out cut a whole in the carpet layed the carpet down screwed down a 12in kenwood shallow sub so when you open my trunk it looks just like a stock floor with a 12 inch sub too the left.... the floor sits at stock level only catch is you lose the spare but i dont go anywhere further then 10 miles from the house so i can just hit the friends or parents up and have them go grab it for me... it hits very hard and looks really slick looks stock... ill post some pics

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
For what it's worth- I wanted a ten inch sub for the rear and still be able to put my targa in it's place. I went originaly with a Boston Pro series 10" and made a box to specs. I kept having issues with the Boston and eventually went with a Fosgate 10" low profile that fit in the same unported box. Some of the members from Portland may remember the sound I was getting with the Boston and it is about the same with the Fosgate. I had an 8" powered Bazooka Tube back there years back and it fit but it was kind of awkward and I wanted a little bit lower bass. The box I have I just leave centered in the lift back and the targa goes in right over it. If I need to put something in else in the liftback I can move the box around or just simply take it out.

Brian

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
Looks like it will fit both upright and flat. How did you mount yours? What amp you using? Got the matched JL Component set in front?

I have mine mounted flat, and it looks super clean. (wish I could say that for the rest of the car) I'm using an old Rockford Fosgate 301x (?) 4 channel, with the rear channels bridged for the sub. The fronts aren't the matching JL set unfortunately, but they are Pioneer TS-A1702 6" components (Thanks to KevinM for the group buy speaker pods), which have a surprisingly clear sound but lacked in the low end due the open design of the pods. The systems sounds very good all around, but oddly enough it really comes alive for movies!

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
Picture time.

p1641872_1.jpg

p1641872_2.jpg

p1641872_3.jpg

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming

lol 150 is cheap for subs...least good subs

also if you do a mount like tye-bo, i suggest gettin the kicker compvt subs. They are shallow mount(only need like 4 9/16 or less) and sound very good in a sealed box. I had a pair in my 86 toyota truck in a custom box. Sound very tight and clean.

You could do what tye-bo did but make the box more custom fit and put on on each side. If you dont want a custom box then just get one like shown above.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I'd love to attempt a rear seat delete this Spring running a decent set of 12s or maybe just a single. I seldom ever have to worry about a single passenger, so I'm sure I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having rear seats.

Has anyone on here had any sucess with this?