Sub solutions advice

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I am looking into my options for subs. I want to keep the spare tire and of course the targa has to fit. I get a steal of a deal on hardware from alpine, infinity, rockford and kenwood.

I dont want thump. I listen to rock, so it needs to be tight, musical bass.
My current thoughts:

1. Get two 8" infinity reference subs (dirt cheap) and make a 20x10x5.5" box.

2. Get a 10" apline type R and make a ~16x12x6 box.

SUGGESTIONS?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Boxes with parallel surfaces like that suck. Bigtime. Boxes that are small enough to fit between the Targa mounts and the spare tire, with surfaces that are enough out of parallel to matter, don't exist for a reason.

The spare sucks too - I suggest replacing it with an AAA membership. Cheap and small enough to fit in your wallet.

Bottom line - you're going to have to sacrifice something here - whether it's the spare, the targa mount, back seat, or decent sound, it's up to you.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
s0ulstar;1029167 said:
have you looked at the shallow mount subwoofers? i was looking into these.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...&c=3&tp=111&nvpair=AG_General|FFShallow_Mount

ive got four pioneer premeir shallow mounts in my trunk minus the spare but i can still use my targa... if you do like 1 or 2 12's they hit great and the way they are made with an air suspension sytem and the hit all the frequencys... like i listen to rock, rap, hip hop, jazz, ska every really and they hit everything very nicely. with only doing one or two you can still have access to your spare and still use your targa top. here is mine so you can get an idea. i love them they sound great.

p1029548_1.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well I really want to maximize my cargo area too. I need to have space for golf clubs. ;)

I can see getting rid of the spare and going the AAA route. Hell I can get roadside assistance on my cell service for 3 bucks/month.

I just dont want to sacrifice anything. I know, hard customer, right?

The box would NOT be perfectly boxy. It would be something like 18x12x4.5x6 or close to that. The side up against the seats would be taller than the side towards the rear of the car.

Side view

<Front of car<
______
|........------_____
|________________|

^Something like that^

I haven't seen anyone with a set-up like I want, I'll try to get it set-up later this summer if not this month.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Keep in mind that *required* space and *ideal* space are not the same thing at all. Required space is a mostly fictional number created by marketing. Kind of like the minimum system requirements listed for games... sure, you *can* play that game on a P3 with 512K of RAM... as long as you don't mind turning off all the eye candy and playing in a ridiculously low resolution.

It's MUCH easier to remove volume than add it. Glue a couple extra blocks of wood to the inside of the box and you have smaller volume.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
GrimJack;1030936 said:
Keep in mind that *required* space and *ideal* space are not the same thing at all. Required space is a mostly fictional number created by marketing. Kind of like the minimum system requirements listed for games... sure, you *can* play that game on a P3 with 512K of RAM... as long as you don't mind turning off all the eye candy and playing in a ridiculously low resolution.

It's MUCH easier to remove volume than add it. Glue a couple extra blocks of wood to the inside of the box and you have smaller volume.

Ya, I realize more volume is better. I'd like to have at least 1 cu ft. of volume, but I want the box to impede as little of my cargo area as possible.

I really think that a 20x12x~6" box with a slant would fit well and that gives me about .8 cu ft. :dunno:

Do you guys think the single 10" type r is the way to go? Would the dual 8" infinities have any chance at competing with the type r?

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Imho, build a nice custom box to fit under the targa. Since you get a good deal on alpine, grab a type R 12". They dont require that much mounting depth, and can bet fairly clean. Just be sure to build the box to be about 1.3cu/ft net volume. Though if you really are super pressed for space, do the same thing but t=with the 10" type R, but make the box about .9cu/ft net.

Stay away from the infinities, they are cheap ass little subs. Even the kappa perfects were'nt anything special. Infinity isnt who they used to be.

Next is the amp... Cant sound good without a nice amp. For either sub try to grab a 400-500w rms @ 2ohm amp from alpine. It should be just about rught for the Type R, but you can always go bigger if you want!

You must work at best buy...LOL

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
pbasil1;1031234 said:

That's what I was thinking too :)

I'd go with two of the shallow mounts in a custom box that is easy to remove. They sound pretty damn good if you throw tons of power at 'em.

Get a PDX 1.1000 and you'll be good.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
pbasil1;1031234 said:

Mobile consultant at your service. ;)

I meant to quit earlier this year... then they gave me a fat raise and promotion with bonus opportunities. (Sigh), I'm such a sucker.

Anywho, the amp will almost invariably be one of the lower end mono Alpine amps. Should be just the right amount of juice. I think the lowest is 200W RMS @ 4 ohms and the nicer is 300W RMS.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
I took out my rear seat and made a custom fiber glass enclosure with 2 12 " subs.
Not like i'm gonna be able to fit anyone back there,right? The speakers have grills,so I don't really have anything to worry about as far as damage.The rear seats still fold down,so I can stil carry cargo.Targa top and spare are still utilized.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
suprarx7nut;1031559 said:
Mobile consultant at your service. ;)

I meant to quit earlier this year... then they gave me a fat raise and promotion with bonus opportunities. (Sigh), I'm such a sucker.

Anywho, the amp will almost invariably be one of the lower end mono Alpine amps. Should be just the right amount of juice. I think the lowest is 200W RMS @ 4 ohms and the nicer is 300W RMS.

Meh, go high end... Get the best you can! You have a great discount on the stuff, so take advantage of it! I work at circuit city and i bought the best kicker stuff i could afford when i built my old system.... Then i sold it all a yr later for way more than i paid for it and got some real high end stuff....lol It worked out nicely for me.