Stupid Question: Would a Throttle Spacer make any difference on a turbo engine?

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Self Explanatory:

Stupid Question: Would a Throttle Spacer make any difference on a turbo engine?

They claim to make a small hp increase, installed/sold a few and it made 3hp on the butt dyno.

1. Increases air volume in plenum. I imagine the turbo piles it in there no can't get any more psi/volume.

2. Most have a spiral or other gadgets to cause turbulence? Maybe no point with a T4 turbulence generator?

Discuss.

:icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, I know they work for carbs, but I really don't see them doing jack on a modern car (except adding weight to the car and less weight from your wallet...)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Poodles;1823938 said:
Well, I know they work for carbs, but I really don't see them doing jack on a modern car (except adding weight to the car and less weight from your wallet...)
It would take helium to make the average Mk3 owners wallet lighter ;)

OP: Don't think a spacer has enough volume to make any real difference, I played around with plenums from 2 litres to 7 litres and they just change the "hit" from the Turbo.

bigtimr

Mar 21, 2012
Oregon
I dont know what the hell you guys are talking about! I ordered 6 of those and got longer bolts and BAM 18 hp like that!

No but on a serious note, throttle spacers are a piece of metal which they tell you INCREASES the air velocity in entering your engine creating extra hp and most of the time they say BETTER GAS MILEAGE too!

The thing is even if you move your throttle body 1 inch away from your intake it doesnt make the runners any larger nor does it increase the size of your throttle passages so you don't gain anything even on a carburated vehicle(No offense Poodles just stating my own experience), unless your using it to convert a square bore intake to a spread or visa versus I think I have 3 of them sitting in the shop that Ive taken off cars do to vacuum leaks they have created.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
original.jpg

And yep, for carbed motors the ones I'm talking aobut channel the flow properly. Not to mention the best use for carb spacer is for a nitrous setup :D