Stuck on what kinda of dyno to get for my shop

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Any help would be greatful. I am on the verge of opening a shop with my and a few others. First thing I am wanting to get is a dyno. I have found a mustang in ground for 25 k. But my brother wants to go dyno jet. I was just wondering what's the difference besides money.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Don't worry about a dyno is my best advice. Yeah, it's nice to have but I am sure you can make friends with a local shop to use their dyno during off hours.

This is coming from experience and not forum hooplah. It's best to get on your feet first, have your bills and employees paid and have money to cover overhead for at least two months. Sounds like overkill, trust me, it's not.

This is not a post about dyno information which is what your thread is about, instead, it's just financial information coming from experience in what it takes to not just open, but to stay open.

Sunny days are nice but it's the rainy days is what you should worry about.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
^^sounds like sound advice. As to your question though, if/when you're ready to pull the trigger on a dyno, I'd recommend a Mustang Dyno. Dynojets (at least as far as I know) are mainly for dyno queens that only care about their dyno numbers; with Mustang dynos, you can apply loads to the drum to simulate street driving, which is what you want if you do dyno tuning. You need to be able to put a load on the vehicle to tune it properly, and as far as I know Dynojets only have a free-spinning drum, so this isn't possible with them...which is why they produce higher numbers than Mustang dynos.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The couple of guys that I know that purchased dynos regretted it. The story was the same in that they would have been better off just purchasing dyno time.