Strut bars..

MOON

Oct 12, 2007
calgary alberta
I was just looking on e-bay, is there a diff from the 7m-gte compared to the 1jz-gte (which i have) body? i dont think there is..and if you have bought any which one would you recommend, thank you ....Aaron

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I'm not completely sure on the different fitment for the 7m versus the 1j. If you're talking about the mounting of the bar, I don't think it's any different and it really wouldn't make sense if it is.

As for shock tower bars, they won't do as much on Supras because Supras don't have struts. A strut is a damper that is also a suspension member and is active in locating the suspension. The shocks on the supra are not needed to locate the suspension, so they see different loads than a strut would see. Due to its design a strut sees a load perpendicular to the upper mount, this is why a strut tower bar could be needed. A similar bar on a non-strut car does not see the same loads and is meant more to just brace the engine bay. Which on some cars isn't really needed. It will add some amount of stiffness depending on the design of the bar, but how big or small is hard to say. But I would think it's safe to assume that the more expensive bars don't do much more than the cheaper bars besides look a little prettier.

Tim