Stock radio with an aftermarket amp. How does it sound?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
it depends on the stock stereo. most are designed to turn the bass down as you turn the volume up. ive never really heard one that sounds all that good to be honest with you, those cheap rca converters sound like what you pay for them.

if you are serious about going this route, look at the Alpine pxe-h650. i am planning on going this route with my saturn, after i have the stock deck modded to accept the input from a kenwood kos300. for now im just gonna run an x993 or x994, my route is gonna be about 500 more than just using an aftermarket deck, so it'll have to wait till summer

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Koenigturbo;1523260 said:
How does the stock radio sound with an aftermarket amp?

Nothing wrong with the factory sound...but if you listen to cds, custom ones or use mp3's they wont play. I just put the alpine cda105 that uses a jump drive so no CD's and tons of music.

lazer1100

Feb 21, 2010
AZ
I agree with above poster factory decks are functional but aftermarket decks give so many more options.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
O.K I agree, but hooking the aftermarket Hu to an stock amp isn't that defeating the purpose?
How do you get more clarity if the signal going in isn't clear. are you saying the aftermarket amp cleans up the signal? Higher out put, and more range I would agree,. I figured if I hooked up the stock H.U to a aftermarket amp wouldn't it at least make it sound better, at least better than a stock amp. ... you don't agree? Not agruing,.. Just wondering, I'm open for any suggestions. I'm eventually will get both after market H.U. and amp. I just wondering which is the better of the two evils or which will get me the most for the time being, or the best bang for the buck for now. ,..New amp or new H.U.
thanks.