Stock left speaker has no power

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
As title state's my rear left speaker right under the hatch has 0 power, at first i figured the stock speaker had blew so i went bought a new cheap wal-mart speaker and replaced both right and left. Right works great but left still no power so i checked with a voltmeter and of course the wire's have no power, so me being a noob with audio i want to know how do i wire just the 1 left speaker? or is there an easier way of handling this? wanting to upgrade to amp/woofer but funds are going towards my engine now :(

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'd check for power right off the stereo then check it before and after it comes in through the door as obviously thats where it bends and could therefore break.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
Canuckrz;1828955 said:
I'd check for power right off the stereo then check it before and after it comes in through the door as obviously thats where it bends and could therefore break.

if its the rear speaker it doesnt go through the door...

As canuckrz suggested I would check the wiring right out of the radio possibly something came loose or it could be a channel on the radio that has gone bad.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
k20maniac;1829000 said:
if its the rear speaker it doesnt go through the door...

As canuckrz suggested I would check the wiring right out of the radio possibly something came loose or it could be a channel on the radio that has gone bad.

ok i will yank it out and check it, the previous owner must have messed up something because there's speaker wire every where

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
To be honest, I'd junk them both. The speakers in the hatch area are useless, all they do is make your music sound like mud.

I put good speakers in the rear seat locations, and removed the hatch ones entirely.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
GrimJack;1829078 said:
To be honest, I'd junk them both. The speakers in the hatch area are useless, all they do is make your music sound like mud.

I put good speakers in the rear seat locations, and removed the hatch ones entirely.

Pics or it didnt happen.... =)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I modded the rear enclosures to house Alpine Type S 5x7s. They still need a little work, but they sound a hell of a lot better. Couple that with an 8 inch under seat sub to fill in the lows and 6.5s in the fronts and it sounds pretty damn good.

Also, what I would do is check the connections at the head unit. I've never had any wiring fail in the car. But it also sounds like you have aftermarket wiring..

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Backlash2032;1829208 said:
I modded the rear enclosures to house Alpine Type S 5x7s. They still need a little work, but they sound a hell of a lot better. Couple that with an 8 inch under seat sub to fill in the lows and 6.5s in the fronts and it sounds pretty damn good.

Also, what I would do is check the connections at the head unit. I've never had any wiring fail in the car. But it also sounds like you have aftermarket wiring..
Did you put those in the rear seat locations, or the hatch locations?

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
GrimJack;1829078 said:

i am crap with audio lol but i love clear deep bass music since i listen to a lot of house/electronica, but when it comes to getting mid range, high range, or medium speakers i am at a lost. Even with subs i was told to go by RMS instead of wattage but im not sure if that goes for smaller speakers also. but i like k20maniacs idea i might just build a separate closure for a 12inch sub and 2 6 inch speakers and just replace the front two speaker's.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The problem with six speaker systems is the signal timing. The speed of sound is NOT instant, so the sound from a speaker right next to your ear arrives before the sound from a speaker in the back of the car. Many modern aftermarket systems have methods of dealing with this, by adding delays - in the millisecond range - to the signal for the closer speakers, usually the front ones. In bigger systems, big delays are added to the fronts, smaller delays to the rears, and the subwoofers are usually left alone. Without these delays, sharp instant sounds, like drumbeats, bells, and string instruments that are plucked as opposed to played with a bow, lose their definition and smear over a longer period of time instead of being a single, precise hit.

This delay system works fine - as long as you only have to worry about 4 speaker locations plus the subwoofer. As soon as you add in the two hatch speaker locations, things start to fall apart again, because the deck can't add delays on six channels.

Stock stereos that are properly tuned from the factory with more than 4 locations have non-adjustable delays built into the sound system - so you can't, for instance, take the head unit from one car, put it in a totally different vehicle, and expect to get the same fantastic sound. Nobody does this anyway, simply because the wiring for stock systems is such a pain in the ass, and proprietary to each manufacturer.

Our car is simple to build a system for.
- Get some of the 91+ speaker pods for the front doors, and get some decent speakers for those.
- Replace the rear seat speakers with a decent set.
- Junk the hatch speakers, and, if your car came with it, the stock amp and sub.
- Add a small subwoofer box and a decent sub in the hatch. I'm fond of something in the 10" range, commercial mass produced enclosures can be had for cheap in this size, and they will fit under the targa.
- Either get a couple of amps - one 4 channel for the speakers and one monoblock for the sub - or pick up a 5 channel amp that will handle them all.
- Replace the head unit with something modern. Preferably something that can filter the low end signal to the sub, and the mid and high end signal to the rest of the system.

You'll now have a system that sounds far better than what came with the car. Without going to a really high end setup - many amps, even more speakers, and lots of custom work to make it fit - this is about as good as it gets.

If anyone wants specific advice about car audio in the Supra, we have several folks that are very knowledgeable - post a thread and ask for suggestions.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
GrimJack;1829303 said:
The problem with six speaker systems is the signal timing. The speed of sound is NOT instant, so the sound from a speaker right next to your ear arrives before the sound from a speaker in the back of the car. Many modern aftermarket systems have methods of dealing with this, by adding delays - in the millisecond range - to the signal for the closer speakers, usually the front ones. In bigger systems, big delays are added to the fronts, smaller delays to the rears, and the subwoofers are usually left alone. Without these delays, sharp instant sounds, like drumbeats, bells, and string instruments that are plucked as opposed to played with a bow, lose their definition and smear over a longer period of time instead of being a single, precise hit.

This delay system works fine - as long as you only have to worry about 4 speaker locations plus the subwoofer. As soon as you add in the two hatch speaker locations, things start to fall apart again, because the deck can't add delays on six channels.

Stock stereos that are properly tuned from the factory with more than 4 locations have non-adjustable delays built into the sound system - so you can't, for instance, take the head unit from one car, put it in a totally different vehicle, and expect to get the same fantastic sound. Nobody does this anyway, simply because the wiring for stock systems is such a pain in the ass, and proprietary to each manufacturer.

Our car is simple to build a system for.
- Get some of the 91+ speaker pods for the front doors, and get some decent speakers for those.
- Replace the rear seat speakers with a decent set.
- Junk the hatch speakers, and, if your car came with it, the stock amp and sub.
- Add a small subwoofer box and a decent sub in the hatch. I'm fond of something in the 10" range, commercial mass produced enclosures can be had for cheap in this size, and they will fit under the targa.
- Either get a couple of amps - one 4 channel for the speakers and one monoblock for the sub - or pick up a 5 channel amp that will handle them all.
- Replace the head unit with something modern. Preferably something that can filter the low end signal to the sub, and the mid and high end signal to the rest of the system.

You'll now have a system that sounds far better than what came with the car. Without going to a really high end setup - many amps, even more speakers, and lots of custom work to make it fit - this is about as good as it gets.

If anyone wants specific advice about car audio in the Supra, we have several folks that are very knowledgeable - post a thread and ask for suggestions.

i am going to start looking online for some equipment hopefully i can do this project on the side for all under 500 bucks hehe

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
For that budget, I'd scrap the amps / subwoofer portion. I would, however, buy some quality RCA cables and speaker wire, run them from the deck location to the hatch while you have everything apart. The extra cost now isn't much, and the savings in blood sweat and tears later when you want to add the sub is tremendous. Three RCA cables - Front, Rear, and Sub - and 4 speaker wires, front left, front right, rear left, and rear right.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
To be fair picking up a used sub, amp, and premade enclosure is pretty cheap. Obviously used isnt ideal nor is a premade enclosure, but for ~$150 it sure beats the terrible sound range the car would have stock assuming he doesnt have 6.5's in the front.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If he's willing to go used, he could probably get the full meal deal. But for under $500, I think he could get the 6.5s in the front, which will be ok until he can scrape up another batch of coin and add the sub.