still working out the kinks jdm 7mgte with usdm ecu

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
After learning about usdm ecus not working with jdm engines due to no egr i decided to check my ecu .. my car was originally a non-turbo automatic .I purchased it as a 5 speed with a jdm 7mgte. still working out the kinks of the swap from previous owner as i notice most of us are.. heres a pic of the ecu . from what i understand yellow text means usdm ecu. it this valid?

will any jdm ecu replacement work? i know auto is fine but will i also need one with gray plugs? or any specific year ?

thanks for your help guys.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
My ecu is a usdm turbo ecu according to my research its been this way since I bought the car with no check engine lights ..HOWEVER from what ive read usdm ecus will run the engine lean at certain rpms on a jdm motor because its programmed for egr which is why im looking for a jdm unit

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
Im confused jetjock I read everywhere saying if you have jdm motor with no egr use jdm ecu ??

Unless your telling me to keep the usdm ecu but add egr ?

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
Wouldnt it lean out under certain conditions since I dont have egr ...sorry for being repetitive i just dont want to go back and fourth and harm the motor...all other threads say this

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The motors are the same. Jdm engine just comes with block off plates.

If your using the us harness use the us ecu and just install the egr.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
I know thats the difference im not sure if its a us harness or jdm harness since I bought the car with it .....would it be a us harness if its already pligged into a us ecu ?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If its routed like stock then most likely yes. Jdm harness are shorter and would require extending which is not normally worth it with a 7m.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
Thanks for the explanation hvyman I belive it is a usdm harness then as its routed like stock .....out of curiosity will a usdm harness gray plug fit a gray jdm ecu ?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No clue. Never seen one. But id imagine they are the same plugs with just a couple missing wires in the harness and different tune.