Still wanting a cofortable ride..?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Hey alls...

I've done some searching and couldnt find any info....

I'm wanting a lower stance and a bit better performance... however I dont want to feel every bump in the road... The car's stock suspension rides very comfortably and is decent to maintain control of... however... I wouldnt mind dropping it a bit... and I wouldnt mind a compromise of performance and comfort... I just dont want the stiffest setup there is...

So.. with that being said... are coilovers a must or can I get a comfortable ride out of springs/struts?

Thanks guys
-AcId-

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Coilovers generally ride stiffer. They use cheaper dampers and don't always have the best selection. Meaning it seems like they'll have a range of dampers with different valving that they can use on anything they make. Sometimes the weight and spring rate of what they're going on will work out and the damping will be where it's supposed to be. Other times, it will be way too stiff and ride real rough or be too soft and be bouncy.

It's kind of hit or miss and people's opinions can't always be trusted. There's too many people who thing XX setup is too soft and a bunch of other people saying it's too stiff. There doesn't seem to be must matching feedback.

But if you want to go lower, the springs will have to be a little stiffer. But it's more the damper that determines the ride harshness than the spring, at least with in reason.

But you should be able to get what you want with springs/shocks. As I'm sure you've read, I'm not a fan of lowering springs, but if you're just street driving, it really doesn't matter. I mean the performance won't be as good as well matched linear spring paired with good dampers, but it will probably be alright for what you want.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
I kinda forgot about this thread...

anyways... is there a decently priced coilover setup that would work well?

I dont mind lowering springs... I used a full eibach system on my last project car and I couldnt get the car to break loose in the corners no matter how hard I was pushing it.... they would howl pretty good... but not fully loose traction...

However... with the amount of options out there for the supra... I'm really interested in going coilover... so is there one specific kit that works well and rides decent on the supra or is it pretty well luck of the draw?

-AcId-

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Good coilovers will allow you to adjust them to meet your driving style. I know with my TEIN FLEX Control Masters I can fine tune them to fit my driving style and comfort needs. If I want the suspension to be soft, I can reduce the pre-load on the springs and decrease dampening and raise it up. If I want it to be stiff, I can do just the opposite (as I have done). Ideally you want to be able to independantly adjust the height, spring pre-load, and strut dampening. Not all coilovers offer all these options.

A taller sidewall (as my Supra has) will also help to soften the ride, making it more comfortable. With the really low profile tires, you might as well have rubber bands for tires since that's all they really are and offer no cushioning what-so-ever.