Standalone Questions - Which to Buy

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
So, a little back story...

I've always had the intention of going standalone after my motor rebuild a decade ago, and initially I was going to go with the MS3, but then about a year ago I started hearing about the ECU Masters setup. When I posed a question in the local Supra FB group (mostly MKIV guys) about whether to go with the regular or Black variant, one of the local tuners (also mainly a MKIV guy, though he's done MKIIIs) said I shouldn't go with that, but go with AEM Infinity (or Haltech, I believe was another option) instead.

Fast-forward to the past few weeks... I ordered an Infinity ECU online, but found it was the Powersports Variant (based on the 508), and per AEM Tech support it won't work for our application. I've also found that Holley has fully discontinued the Infinity line and has nothing planned as a replacement, so....to my main question.

What standalone should I go for? The local tuner said he can get his hands on a used Infinity-6, and a BNIB one, but I'm striking out everywhere else online. Should I still try to get the Infinity, or should I be going with something else? The local tuner said the ECU Masters is garbage, but people on here seem to be pretty happy with it. I don't need anything extravagant, just something that will tune the car properly and be reliable. He was also saying that I'd need sensors for 150psi fuel/oil pressures, and a 3bar map sensor. I don't plan on running that much boost, and I've never seen fuel/oil pressures that high on a 7M, though he swears it happens. Please weigh in, I've probably interacted with most of you over the years on here or SF, so I could use a little trustworthy advice. Thanks!

(Double-posted on SF, so you may be seeing this twice)

Reactions: trofimovich

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Stock bottom end rebuild, ported head I picked up off an old user on here, and a Sethron modded stock intake (modded to be a FFIM) and a stock jdm throttle body. Turbo is a Turbonetics TO4E 60-1 that was on the car when I bought it and was rebuilt, and I put the 550cc injectors and Lex AFM in.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Ok, update -- still waiting for the AEM; the place I ordered it from said they'd gotten their hands on the last one from their supplier. Fast-forward, and as of tonight, they said they're getting no response from their supplier after several attempts, and the only info is that it was shipped to me. The place I ordered it from is offering to fill the order with a Haltech 1500 instead -- should I take him up on it, or just cancel the order completely and move on? Haltech's website says it supports up to 12cyl engines, but only has 4 injector and spark outputs? Will this even work properly with our engines being 6cyl?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I'm 90% through my year-long wiring harness build for a maxxecu race (it's been both a fun and challenging experience building a harness the correct way). It's got virtually all the I/O capabilities I could ever want for this motor (sequential ignition, sequential injection, built in lambda, built in boost control), including things like e-throttle. I should be able to have it up and running by next spring.

57Bonus

Dec 14, 2022
Ok, update -- still waiting for the AEM; the place I ordered it from said they'd gotten their hands on the last one from their supplier. Fast-forward, and as of tonight, they said they're getting no response from their supplier after several attempts, and the only info is that it was shipped to me. The place I ordered it from is offering to fill the order with a Haltech 1500 instead -- should I take him up on it, or just cancel the order completely and move on? Haltech's website says it supports up to 12cyl engines, but only has 4 injector and spark outputs? Will this even work properly with our engines being 6cyl?
Haltech 2500 is a better fit for the 7m, IMO.
You can ask Haltech what would work best for your what you're running and plans for it.

When I contacted Haltech a few months back for a standalone, they recommended their R3 plus a crank trigger kit.