Speedo not working, O/D light flashing

I finally drove my Supra for the first time since I replaced the engine and everything works but now the Speedo stopped working and the O/D light is flashing. O/D light means a tranny code so I thought it was a speed sensor or maybe a pinched cable but my Odometer, Tripometer and Tach still work. The car is a 1989 (Early model) Turbo Auto, pretty much well maintained by the original owner for the 119k miles he had it. So after I put 8 (8 miles not 8K)miles on that 119k the car developed severe rod knock and so I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one. So anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's the #1 speed sensor located in the speedo...usually the result of an inop speedo. A broken cable is the usual cause, but since your odometer is working, that is probably not it. Might want to check the cable where it engages the speedo for a good connection or if it's rounded out where the cable engages the speedo. If it's good, I'd suspect the speedo itself.

The tach has nothing to do with it...it's signal comes from the igniter.

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
Before you go ripping things apart, check the speedo cable, if you have the odometer working and the needle does not move then you have a speedometer issue in the gage, check the wire harness along the l/h side of the transmission, if any of the plugs have pulled pins you will get a flashing o/d light, if the speedo worked before you pulled the engine you may have pulled some pins, or your 2 piece cable has one end broken.
Jet
p.s. the odometer is mechanically driven from the rotation of the cable that moves the magna clutch which in turn moves the speedometer needle.

Last edited:

supraslo

Slaying Cobras
Jul 29, 2007
Burlington NC
www.myspace.com
if everything is working properly and the light is on, just pull the "EFI" fuse and allow the computer about 20seconds to reset, then reinstall the fuse. It may have set the code early on and still have the code stored in its memory

Jetfixr757;911565 said:
Before you go ripping things apart, check the speedo cable, if you have the odometer working and the needle does not move then you have a speedometer issue in the gage, check the wire harness along the l/h side of the transmission, if any of the plugs have pulled pins you will get a flashing o/d light, if the speedo worked before you pulled the engine you may have pulled some pins, or your 2 piece cable has one end broken.
Jet
p.s. the odometer is mechanically driven from the rotation of the cable that moves the magna clutch which in turn moves the speedometer needle.

Thanks, well put. Straight and to the point lol