speaker upgrade recommendations?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
So my crappy stockers are giving up on me, and before christmas im planning to upgrade all of my speakers to fit my new Pioneer deck, car is a 1988 toyota supra with the stock speaker pods and i wanna know what brand would be good for a replacement:? I dont really need a lot of bass from it since i will be buying subs soon just for now i dont want any "destroyed" noise, it doest sound right.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
modmonster2008;1198593 said:
So my crappy stockers are giving up on me, and before christmas im planning to upgrade all of my speakers to fit my new Pioneer deck, car is a 1988 toyota supra with the stock speaker pods and i wanna know what brand would be good for a replacement:? I dont really need a lot of bass from it since i will be buying subs soon just for now i dont want any "destroyed" noise, it doest sound right.

Polk... :naughty:

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Fronts are 4" and rear are 5 1/4".

I have 5" Bose in the front on mine with BMW tweeters mounted behind the side view mirrors with separate crossovers, and 5 1/4" JBL's in the rear, along with two cheapie 10" subs in the rear. Sounds amazing...tuning is the key. :D

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, GA
in my car i replaced all of the speakers with 4" sony xplods, they are 140 watts each and sound really nice. they fit nice and are really easy to install. plus i have two 12" mtx thunder 4500 subs with a sony 1200 watt amp for my bass... hits hard but still sounds sexy and yea it is all about how you tune it.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Rears are NOT 5 1/4" . Its football shaped toyota speakers. no one is making this style in the aftermarket anymore, only stocks are drop in. 5 1/4 will sit in but will have space around the ring, that you can and should seal.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
Pernilongo;1202584 said:
Rears are NOT 5 1/4" . Its football shaped toyota speakers. no one is making this style in the aftermarket anymore, only stocks are drop in. 5 1/4 will sit in but will have space around the ring, that you can and should seal.

i dont know about you but i kno for a fact my rear set were 51/4 ROUND speakers (stock).i droped im my 51/4 and they fit perfectly.btw i own a 87 mkiiiim pretty sure the 88 are the same

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
beachsupra;1205280 said:
i dont know about you but i kno for a fact my rear set were 51/4 ROUND speakers (stock).i droped im my 51/4 and they fit perfectly.btw i own a 87 mkiiiim pretty sure the 88 are the same

get infinitys not for base heads but the sound quality is awsome:naughty:

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
beachsupra;1205280 said:

Good for you. Both of my supras are not 5 1/4. and i have never seen one. Pictures of the box would be good to prove it.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
i know for sure 4" for the rears are too small, since i tried the front oem speakers on the rear box and it had a large gap around, the rear oem toyota speakers look like a football cut short but if 5 1/4" works id go get them. but would the space inside the box accept the size of the speaker magnet of a 5 1/4 speaker? i heard that if i squeeze a large speaker into that box it would sound like crap since theres no space for the base to resonate....

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
modmonster2008;1205345 said:
i know for sure 4" for the rears are too small, since i tried the front oem speakers on the rear box and it had a large gap around, the rear oem toyota speakers look like a football cut short but if 5 1/4" works id go get them. but would the space inside the box accept the size of the speaker magnet of a 5 1/4 speaker? i heard that if i squeeze a large speaker into that box it would sound like crap since theres no space for the base to resonate....

No 5 1/4 will fit if you seal the edges around the speaker. the stock bass port does a good job with mid-bass. the size of the box is pretty good for 5 1/4 speaker, it won't sound like crap at all. just put a new gasket between two halfs of the box, the original already is shrunk and too thin to seal the two half of the box. Also, stuff it with loosly packed poly fill ( pillow stuffing) it will make the air heavier thus tricking the speaker to "think" there is more air available ( it will simulate a bigger box). The stock port already has the net glued to it, so you don't need to worry about poly fill coming out.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
are those poly fill stuff the ones that come in home audio subs, like cotton stuffed together? i dunno how a small speaker box + 5 1/4" speakers + poly fill = good sound, but ill give it a shot

edit: im looking at some speakers online right now, the brands are Blaupunkt, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, Alpine, Infinity Kappa, Power Acoustik, etc. out of those which one would be the best brand? and i heard that CF woven cones last longer and also along with rubber speaker surrounds instead of treated cloth? i know for sure the type of surrounds used on the stockers dont seem well as they "crusted" off the cone itself :(

Last edited:

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
modmonster2008;1206287 said:
are those poly fill stuff the ones that come in home audio subs, like cotton stuffed together? i dunno how a small speaker box + 5 1/4" speakers + poly fill = good sound, but ill give it a shot

edit: im looking at some speakers online right now, the brands are Blaupunkt, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, Alpine, Infinity Kappa, Power Acoustik, etc. out of those which one would be the best brand? and i heard that CF woven cones last longer and also along with rubber speaker surrounds instead of treated cloth? i know for sure the type of surrounds used on the stockers dont seem well as they "crusted" off the cone itself :(

No not cotton glued together, its cotton fibers or scrap (leftovers from making clothes). open a pillow its polyester fiber stuffing, not cotton. Don't think a large box is a universal solution for good sound. Every speaker has different air volume it needs and thus some will need very small boxes to sound great. Small box + 5 1/4 speaker + poly fill means that poly fill will allow a speaker to work in a smaller than optimum air space by making air heavier and absorbing some of the sound energy. Cotton padding in home audio and car audio is put to not let the sound waves bounce back into the cone and destroy it over time thus prolonging life of the speaker.

There are millions of subjective opinions here on speaker brands that are based on nothing, not on objective comparison and testing. Everybody will suggest something different, go with what YOU think is good. Most likely you'll hear alot of recommendations to purchase mediocre low to mid level speakers of popular (widely available) brands.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Get Inifinity Kappa speakers.

There more $$$ then most competitors, but trust me, you wont regret it.

I got kappas all around along wit Audiobahn dual 12 subs/2 audiobahn amps/Panasonic head unit/dual capacitors...I bump it all the time and the kappas sound as terrific as the day I got them. (Going on 7 years...wow)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Back speakers of supras are footbal shaped.... Pernilongo is right. OMG Infinity wtf? Its really simple, JUST GET POLK SPEAKERS....

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
modmonster2008;1206696 said:
those things are expensive, they are the ones with MOMO on them right?

Yes the ones with MOMO on them... But they sound great... Look for emm at ebay :D.