Sounds like a rock in the tire

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
So we did a T70 turbo swap 2 weeks ago, and running 18psi. Well, after the first few test pulls at full boost, it sounds like there is a rock in the right rear tire. We have checked all the tires to make sure it wasn't the sound bouncing around. There are no rocks. I have an ASE mechanic friend, and he said it sounds like the axle shaft may be going bad. Just looking for a little more input on this. And let's keep this about the axles, and not the psi I'm running or anything else please. Thanks!

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
If you can swap a turbo you can swap an axle, refer to tsrm if you have issues. Don't be scared its just a car! You can do it!

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I wasn't worried about how hard of a job it is. I was asking if that noise sounds like it is a CV shaft that is going bad. I have done a lot harder jobs then an axle swap.... but thanks for the encouragement

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Typically when an axle goes bad there will be a clicking or popping noise, if you've ever owned an ifs toyota pickup and had a front axle let loose they make a similar noise but the truck will be more pronouced noise. And if money is an issue it is possible to rebuild your current c.v. axle

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could jack up the rear and run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then get under there with a stethoscope.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I was going to do that tomorrow actually. I had a friend tell me the same thing and if I hear it near the pumpkin, then it is the CV shaft. He said if I hear it near the wheel then it is my bearing.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Update? Did you figure out what it was? I'd recommend jack stands if you're going to be under it while it's being "driven" in the air, but I hope that goes without saying...

Did you find any zip ties? ;)