Sound Dampening

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How thick is it? I would suggest removing the stock stuff, and go over everything, but others may suggest that you go over the stock deadening.

I'm about to do my whole car as soon as I can round up some cash for 100sq/ft of deadener or so.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I was thinking of replacing my stock deadening material with Dynamatt, but since they're pretty much the same thickness, I'm not going to bother.

I lined the hatch on my Mk2, and it was tighter sounding.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Dynamat works better when applied directly to metal. Any extra sound deadening should be laid over top.

Use a plastic roller to apply the mat, it makes things easier.
Also, keep a pin or exacto knife nearby to puncture air pockets. Cut the mat around difficult corners to avoid it bubbling up.

I did almost all of my old '98 silverado in dynamat a number of years ago and the difference was outstanding. I only wish I had done the firewall.

My Supra was used as a stereo competition vehicle before I bought it and it was layered from top to bottom in dynamat. I don't really care about the extra weight, it's over shadowed by the ability to hear a particle of dust land on the rear shock tower. :)

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Anth505 said:
Dynamat works better when applied directly to metal. Any extra sound deadening should be laid over top.

Use a plastic roller to apply the mat, it makes things easier.
Also, keep a pin or exacto knife nearby to puncture air pockets. Cut the mat around difficult corners to avoid it bubbling up.

I did almost all of my old '98 silverado in dynamat a number of years ago and the difference was outstanding. I only wish I had done the firewall.

My Supra was used as a stereo competition vehicle before I bought it and it was layered from top to bottom in dynamat. I don't really care about the extra weight, it's over shadowed by the ability to hear a particle of dust land on the rear shock tower. :)

All these comments make me want to go buy dynamat and do my whole car.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Get rid of the OEM deadening, clean all surfaces to be deadened(rubbing alcohol works well), use a heatgun. A roller works well, but the end of a screwdriver handle works well to get in all those nooks and crannies. If you have any air bubbles, cut a slit in the bubble with a knife, heat it up and press it down.

Wow thanks for all the insight! I got alittle excited and couldn't wait I dont think I did that great of a job but it was fairly intense. Hopefully i never have a break light go out cause I have no idea how I'm going to get to them now. I also found my dynamatt on Ebay ecept its stuff by JLAudio, its pretty nice, its called sound destroyer and i got five sheets that are three feet long and 18 inches wide for fifty bucks WOW!

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Peel and Seal. Same shit as dynamat, a bit a small bit thinner but MUCH MUCH cheaper.

It is also known in the lower-income circles as mobile home roofing repair. :biggrinki You can purchase it from a roofing distributor.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
annoyingrob said:
I have the link at home of a site that did a huge shootout of sound deadeners.

Fom what I remember, peel and seal didn't do so well. Plus, it stinks.

I didnt notice any smell - it still smells like Supra in my car.....

Yes, the peel and seal is thinner than the other stuff, but on the majority of the car you dont really need the thick stuff anyway. On places where it makes a difference to have a thicker product, like the roof, just put two layers on....