Solid Aluminium or Ronnie K Bushings ?

Solid or Poly Subframe Bushings ?

• Total voters

ochocinco5k

Jul 31, 2012
boston,ma
I have been trying to decide between a solid subframe set in development, and 95 Rockwell hardness bushings from Ronnie K. I plan on making my Supra really handling focused so I am not concerned with road/diff noise. Also plan on heavily reinforcing the subframe as well.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
ochocinco5k;1967886 said:
I have been trying to decide between a solid subframe set in development, and 95 Rockwell hardness bushings from Ronnie K. I plan on making my Supra really handling focused so I am not concerned with road/diff noise. Also plan on heavily reinforcing the subframe as well.

In addition to the NVH issues ,solid SubFrame bushings could result in chassis damage(s) and other complications . I personally never found any need to run anything more than nylon subFrame isolators ,and IIRC the other Road Racing competition supra on this forum ( SupraGuru's) still uses rubber bushings and isolators - FIY both cars are cornering as fast or faster than highly competitive Honda S2000 TTC prepared cars!

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
LordDigital;1968076 said:
In addition to the NVH issues ,solid SubFrame bushings could result in chassis damage(s) and other complications . I personally never found any need to run anything more than nylon subFrame isolators ,and IIRC the other Road Racing competition supra on this forum ( SupraGuru's) still uses rubber bushings and isolators - FIY both cars are cornering as fast or faster than highly competitive Honda S2000 TTC prepared cars!

Where do you find the nylon ones?

ochocinco5k

Jul 31, 2012
boston,ma
Lord Digital : I pressume your talking about ones like BIC's subframe spacers ? I was also entertaining the idea of the Ronnie K bushings and these spacers in the back.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
ochocinco5k;1968099 said:
Lord Digital : I pressume your talking about ones like BIC's subframe spacers ? I was also entertaining the idea of the Ronnie K bushings and these spacers in the back.

That is correct ,Isolators = nylon subframe spacers = pic. I did some very extensive work on the subframe ,but could not really justify the cost of replacing the bushing becouse most of stabilization will come from the spacers. IMO Control arms and alignment are far more important...

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
will these nylon spacers help if there's up and down slop in the stock bushings? i have a bunch of up and down play in my subframe, at the bushings.
thanks.........

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The rear subframe was designed to have that play in the rear. but both ronniek and solid spacers will pick up that slack and make the rear more firm. With the alum spacers your going to get a lot of vibrations through the car.

Ronniek you wont. He also has different harness to choose from.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I was planning on going with ronnie k bushings, as they are the superior product, but i did not want to wait for them to come here from Australia, so I went with the aluminum spacers. They work well, and are a very nice product, but out of the two i would choose ronnie k bushings for obvious reasons.

I can say that there are no harsh vibrations with the aluminum spacers. I can hear my diff at times, but it is not very noticeable or loud.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I am actually still on stock subframe bushings all the way around. Probably something I need to change out at some point but I am still getting fast by just working on the driver mod. I do have experience with a friend cracking his rear subframe a couple of drag weekends after he decided to swap to solid subframe bushings. Not sure if it was related but it wasnt a modification I was to fond of.