Should i be using a Greddy Type R Bov w/ my setup?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
seems like a very stiff spring and i remember reading somewhere how to use both nipples...i Think it was just T-ing the vac source to each one but i may be wrong. My setup includes...FFIM, 2.75" IC pipes and bigger IC (24x12x3), Presicion SC61 turbo and a 3" exhaust...oh and AEM EMS. Not sure what else would help. I plan on running more than 18psi of boost but not gonna be there until car is fully tuned.

Should i be alright? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-emp.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Emp:
You should be good to go with that bov, untill you reach the 400hp mark with it.

IIRC there are some flow problems with it over 400-450hp.

As for the nipples -

Just use the top one.

IF you must use the bottom one.... attach to any boost source BEFORE the throttle body.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ah, only reason i ask is cause i think im getting compressor surge and not sure what it could be.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
I have one as well but dont have any problems with it. do you have the stiff spring or the soft one?

also the type R or the type S has flow problem over 400hp? the type R has a 40mm piston and outlet.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
have you adjusted it out? i have the stiff spring one and i have no surge and i am running 16lbs on 57trim i get a reall small flutter only if i am part throtthe and under 2lbs. mine is adjusted all the way out on the stiff spring.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
holdbrooks;1041619 said:
I have one as well but dont have any problems with it. do you have the stiff spring or the soft one?

also the type R or the type S has flow problem over 400hp? the type R has a 40mm piston and outlet.

Sorry I misread the post.

Type S has this problem. Type R Im not sure its flow rates.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
ok, that makes more sense I had the type s on my turbo focus and I could see where it could get restrictive. but the type r is huge.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
GReddy sells replacement springs.
If you have the adjustment all the way out,
and the piston still takes truck driver thumbs to push in,
you have the stiff spring.
The stiff springs were meant for very high boost applications.
And yes, even then they required the lower nipple to be hooked up
in front of the throttle,
so residual boost between the turbo & throttle would help open the valve.

If you plan on running under 20-25 psi,
I would recomend getting the lighter spring.

And they will handle a LOT of flow !!

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
empera;1038636 said:
seems like a very stiff spring and i remember reading somewhere how to use both nipples...i Think it was just T-ing the vac source to each one but i may be wrong. My setup includes...FFIM, 2.75" IC pipes and bigger IC (24x12x3), Presicion SC61 turbo and a 3" exhaust...oh and AEM EMS. Not sure what else would help. I plan on running more than 18psi of boost but not gonna be there until car is fully tuned.

Should i be alright? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-emp.

The seal kept popping out at high boost applications with my set-up (32PSI) I changed to a Tial and all is good. ;)

Duane

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
upgradedsupra;1060614 said:
The seal kept popping out at high boost applications with my set-up (32PSI)

Wow, that's good info,
since I am going to a T88, and intend to run in the 30 psi range.

I may try a harder O-ring first, since my mounts are all done.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
got rid of the type R and got a tial....but it seems it was too late. Turbo is blown. Got oil coming the anti-surge holes, have some shaft play...including in-out play, and now im getting the death whine. So yea i believe it was the type r that might have caused it.