Shifter vibrations?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just pulled out pretty much all the interior but the carpet (including dash) to do some maintenance (targa seals, fix a heater leak, speedo replacement, among other things) and after putting it all back together, the shifter has a slight vibration to it when I'm sitting with the engine running.

Car has solid mounts, but it's never done this before... I'm thinking perhaps I failed to tighten the bolts to the shifter enough. Anyone ever run into this before and have ideas for me to check up on? Thanks!

The fact that yours just started vibrating after you did stuff to the car is slightly odd, but if it makes you feel any better my shifter shakes like a bish all the time haha. I have the oem fluid filled mounts and transmission mount though, which I'm sure are worn out. If you loosened anything related to the shifter just go back and tighten it down and it should go away =\

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If anything I'd say the solid mounts on mine would make vibrations like this even more noticeable than any OEM mount. ;)

And yeah, I had to remove the shifter so I could slide the dash back far enough to get into where the speedometer cable runs through, and to fix the hose that attaches to the heater core on the driver side...

Not when my worn out mounts let the engine shake noticeably during idle... I'm not talking vibrations, I'm talking shifter shaking around in about a 1" diameter circle at idle. :aigo: Just tighten up whatever you messed with and logically it should go back to how it used to be unless something broke.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Oh wow... no, my motor doesn't shake that bad, doesn't really shake at all, just has a bit of a vibration to it that you feel in the shifter. Never felt it before. I'll chase it down this weekend. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
rtrdpenguin;1599616 said:
Not when my worn out mounts let the engine shake noticeably during idle... I'm not talking vibrations, I'm talking shifter shaking around in about a 1" diameter circle at idle. :aigo: Just tighten up whatever you messed with and logically it should go back to how it used to be unless something broke.

If it's moving that much they're not just worn, they're shot. Replace ASAP...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Actually... you know what? It had fallen off the end of the shifter when I was pulling everything apart. How the hell does THAT happen anyway? Thanks for pointing that out btw, I had forgotten about that...