Setting up a mk3 for drag/circuit racing? any pointers or tips?

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
can a mk3 supra be setup for daily driver that can also do drag racing and weekend autocross?

from what i understand.....

drag- is about weight transfer to rear and hooking up to the track. stiff rear 15'' drag radial tires and camber needs to be slightly positive due to squat on launch

autocross- low,stiff,strong brakes and tires.

i realize i need to practice driving,im a novice know nothing nobody but i want to atleast have fun and maybe reach a short term goal of 14sec 1/4 mile and then later 12 second.

1986.5 hardtop
R154-3.91 pre 89 lsd
2jzge with hx35 850cc aem v2 standalone
16'' rims cheap radials
stock springs/tokico whites

87supramario

Jul 15, 2011
Niagara falls
You shouldn't be worried about passing 14's on that set up. But you should be worried about the pre 89 rear subframe in order to acheive 12's. The subframe tends to twist and cracks at places. It must be renforced.

Also, you might want to add a roll bar but you don't really need a roll cage. If you want to save the weight and avoid the cage, you can stitch weld the seems. There is a way to do this, the car must be on a flat and level surface. You can either stich the inside or the outside or both.

There is probably tons of information on this site about autocross and weight loss set ups. But you might find some great deals on built rear subframes in the for sale section. Post a WTB add. I seen one from a turbo Lex V8 part out and he was selling the subframe for $150 and it was perfect.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
1jz run 14's stock so I'm sure your mod's will be low 12s to start with, if you practice you will get into the 11's. For autocross you definitely will need coilovers, new bushings, suspension end links and sway bars. this will improve your handling greatly as well as lower your center of gravity. then it's all practice, you definitely need a good cooling system too but if your running the stock fan you should be fine but your undercover/trays help a lot from what I've read for moving air to where it needs to be. Also higher boost isn't always a good thing it's consistency you want.