Rusty's Roof Scoop Sunroof Insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I've seen it done with some attention to detail. Personally I don't like it, but it can be done well. Brad Mayo did it with a 4 runner hood scoop on his MKIV and it worked out ok:

brad-mayo-13.jpg

But the home A/C vent thing? Way to reinforce the stereotype... The MKIII has enough image problems with tools like Lamarossa driving one, this doesn't help...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
speaking of stereotypes and attention to detail, those blasting him for low budget work on a mk3 should note that the car is NOT a mk3.

Im pretty sure the original work was meant to be functional and not a joke, but Im equally sure that posting it here was meant to get a rise out "the usual suspects"

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Meh, looks like an MKII to me= still a Supra. In any case, my position still stands.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Facime;1344636 said:
speaking of stereotypes and attention to detail, those blasting him for low budget work on a mk3 should note that the car is NOT a mk3.

So it's a MKII, as if that car needs this...

Facime;1344636 said:
Im pretty sure the original work was meant to be functional and not a joke, but Im equally sure that posting it here was meant to get a rise out "the usual suspects"

That would be trolling, and I doubt that's what he's doing, if I believed that, I'd have issued an infraction, not a reply.

shaeff;1344646 said:
Meh, looks like an MKII to me= still a Supra. In any case, my position still stands.

Ditto. It's trash, regardless of what it's on.

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
1. Original post wasn't meant as a troll.
2. Apparently the rest of you assuming I drive a MKIII are guilty of skimming as well. I drive an 85 MKII 7M-GTE w/ 406hp and no AC. Fuck YES I need this.
3. It's functional, and was a prototype, I don't give two shits about what it looks like. It works and was built for around $35 bucks in parts.
4. Ban me if you wish. I don't really care either way, however I'm of the opinion if it FUNCTIONS like it LOOKS then it's not Rice.
5. I know the "Group Buy" comment was a joke and I can take one. However it's generated a little bit of interest on CelicaSupra.com and I might actually make a small run of them for the guys over @ CS, once I have a finished product. Apparently they're not too stuck up to actually use something that's functional in the name of not being rice.

Last time I checked big wings, big wheels, huge vinyls, neons and all that crap were rice, not a single one of them adds directly to the performance of the vehicle. A wing if there's enough power and it's actually tracked is warranted, and larger wheels perhaps for larger tire selection. I fail to see how a functional roof scoop is rice?

Of course I realize that it doesn't have the fit & finish of a high dollar installation, that's not what this was/is. It's a prototype, till I can source a spare sunroof insert, and glass up a scoop that will match the body lines/style of the MKII. A smooth TMIC hood scoop would look out of place on a MKII which has more angles than a geometry book.

I also am hunting for a bit more an air-tight and leak free vent. Perhaps the dash fents & shrouds from a Grand Am, as they're omni-directional and you can mostly turn them off by turning them 90* to the vent shroud.

Dash.jpg

Or the style used in the Ford F150 / Mazda 3 which is still omni-directional, however folds flat and might have a better seal.

Dash.jpg

I have bypassed 99% of the climate controls in my MKII. My heater core runs full on, I eliminated the vacuum controlled diaphragm, I have a mechanical dampner lever (replaced the electro-vacuum assist control) and I have the recirc/fresh & fan.

As I've yet to install the brass 90* ball valve inline in the engine bay, I get tons of heat even with fresh air selected and the dampner closed.

Like I said it's a functional prototype that I'll work off of to build a finished product. I don't care what you drive or work on, I can appreciate creativity and ingenuity in the face of adversity. Improvise Adapt and Overcome... *shrugs*

Everyone here being so negative definitely puts a dampner on my considerations to post up other/further work on SM.

And I'm betting that all of you thought I just slapped this together without taking into consideration the aerodynamics too... You MKIII guys underestimate a lot, and are pretty jaded. Who cares about the reputation you have, make your own.

And thank GOD one of you noticed that it was a MKII, despite it being posted in my sig...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.