Rusty Internals

Oldsupraman

Jun 28, 2006
Northern California
I obtained an old 7mgte to rebuild that had blown a head gasket and had been sitting around for a couple of years. When I opened it up, it was full of water-contaminated oil that had rusted the cams and crankshaft. I'm prepared to get the block decked and bored, replace the cams, and have the crank reground. My questions are the following: 1) Should I just throw this engine away and start with another? 2) If the answer to the first question is no, what else should I watch for?

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Without actually seeing the engine it's hard to say keep or get rid of it. I would just watch out for pitting if any of the internal parts.

What are your plans? Stock rebuild or fully built with aftermarket internals?

Oldsupraman

Jun 28, 2006
Northern California
bmoss85;1343987 said:
Without actually seeing the engine it's hard to say keep or get rid of it. I would just watch out for pitting if any of the internal parts.

What are your plans? Stock rebuild or fully built with aftermarket internals?

Understood. My intention is a stock rebuild except for a MHG and ARP bolts and studs. The cams and the cylinder walls are lightly pitted and will be replaced or machined. My concern is the light rust on other surfaces, particularly the non-machined cast iron. I'm worried about little rust flakes coming off and circulating into the bearings. Is this a significant worry? If so, should I consider treating the rough cast-iron surfaces with rust dissolver and/or internal engine paint (e.g. glyptol)?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Oldsupraman;1344396 said:
Understood. My intention is a stock rebuild except for a MHG and ARP bolts and studs. The cams and the cylinder walls are lightly pitted and will be replaced or machined. My concern is the light rust on other surfaces, particularly the non-machined cast iron. I'm worried about little rust flakes coming off and circulating into the bearings. Is this a significant worry? If so, should I consider treating the rough cast-iron surfaces with rust dissolver and/or internal engine paint (e.g. glyptol)?
In this case, I would get the block hot tanked, just because of the fact that there could be rust in your oil passages. Make sure the block is completely stripped down, and replace the freeze plugs as they will possibly be damaged by the hot tank.
-AM3