rust free na-t build...worth my time?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong section. I currently drive a tired 89 supra N/A. I was planning on selling it until I checked out a car today. I found a rust free 89 Turbo auto identical to mine, but it has a spun bearing. He wants 1200 for the car plus an extra 7m-gte motor (non-running and a w58 along with all the parts to convert the auto shell to a manual. I really want to buy this car and switch parts to the rust free shell along with the w58 conversion. My current N/A motor is tired, but I would like to rebuild it into a NA-T motor and drop it into the rust free w58 converted shell. The only problem is I'm on a budget and need a car by the end of summer. I can save the motor for last and keep my current car drivable while I do everything else, but realistically speaking, how many weeks you guys expect this to take? What kind of budget would I be needing for a 7psi basic NA-T set up (assuming I have the complete Turbo car purchased in my garage already)? Lastly, would the final project be worth the effort (89 supra rust free (could use a respray) 7psi na-t 5-speed)? I know this will be a LOT of work but that's fine. I have time, money is limited, but if I could be driving around in a rust free na-t manual supra, I'm not worried about taking on a project. Thanks for the input. I would have done more research but I need to decide quick whether or not I want to go through with this. Thanks guys! Advice is also appreciated

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
If you have everything you need, then its basically a simple swap. You will have the wiring, the turbo, all piping and etc. from the 89 rust free car, so just take the n/a engine out of the tired n/a and rebuild it, put a drain bung in the oil pan, get the turbo oil and mount everything up, then throw it in the new rust free 89.

It took me about 3 months to do the same, very budget limited and ran into a bunch of snags. Such as the machine shop cracking my block and having to do all the machine work over again. Probably would have taken me a month if I didn't have to find a new block in the middle of it all.