runs froms autocross today

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
got a gopro hero 3 black and finally tried it at autocross today. got some decent videos. still not sure what setting gets the best video and whats the best way to upload them to youtube as far as quality. had fun today though. its always a good time :biglaugh:

first video was on cold tires and at 18psi which just wasn't hooking up cause of the pavement. in the others i have it at 15 which helped with traction a ton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNp5gF1DmCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZ5yv3pkIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BScMuXJe3lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ibm8SA2bAg

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Supra0089;1966860 said:
Looks good. That's a lot of power to handle on an autox. You could probably leave boost even at stock ~12/14psi. Nice job.

yeah i have the springs in my mvr44 for 15psi so that was as low as i could go. even though i think at 15 it was perfect. just needed to drive better and a little smoother to be faster.

deylag

Sep 17, 2013
Milpitas, CA
I saw some of your vids. You definitely got a great sense of space. It shows because you are getting close to the cones which I think is a good thing. I dont know the course but it seems like you are counter-steering on some parts of the course.

I got a couple questions though.
What are your alignment settings?
What tires were you using?
What psi are they cold in the front and rear?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
deylag;1967033 said:
I saw some of your vids. You definitely got a great sense of space. It shows because you are getting close to the cones which I think is a good thing. I dont know the course but it seems like you are counter-steering on some parts of the course.

I got a couple questions though.
What are your alignment settings?
What tires were you using?
What psi are they cold in the front and rear?

thanks!

with the parking lot we use sometimes you can't take the best line because of pot holes or shitty spots in the pavement. but usually i try to apex right at the cones cause its the fasted line. sometimes its best to come in wide though if its a sharp turn or if a slalom stay tight. all in all its a ton of fun no matter how fast you are and it helps you improve your driving skills in a safe place with no tickets lol

my current alignments specs are 1.2 degree camber max caster like 7.8-8 and no toe out in front. 1 degree camber rear and middle of toe specs for rear
usually i run 1.5 camber max caster and a little toe out like -.04 and 1.2 rear camber and middle of toe specs for rear but its basically the off season so i wanted it like that for a little better tire wear. car handles awesome either way though. just a little better with the other alignment. also something to note i don't have my car all slammed so the suspension geometry is closer to where it was designed to perform.

my tires i have now are bridgestone re11a 255/40/17 all around. only have had them for like a month. prolly have 2k miles on them. i love them so far! they do great in the rain. drove to the bay last weekend and they handled the rain awesome. ran the autox event these vids are from and they were quick and i think will get quicker with some more wear. i had hankook rs3's before in the same size and they were really fast but didn't handle in rain the best and lost grip quite a bit towards the end of their life. hoping these re11a's will be the best of both worlds

my cold tire pressures are 36f and 32r. hot i run high 30's low 40's front and mid to high 30's rear

deylag

Sep 17, 2013
Milpitas, CA
Cool! I am new to Supras so I dont know much information about the stock suspension set-up. Is your setup mostly unmodified or did you make changes?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
deylag;1967773 said:
Cool! I am new to Supras so I dont know much information about the stock suspension set-up. Is your setup mostly unmodified or did you make changes?

i have a mini build thread that has a list of most the things ive done to the car. heres a new video i have from a couple weeks ago at this little track in medford. i had never been there before and didn't get much practice but oh well. still had a good time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdduU9KmjKU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTQgmvJOpFNJ1lFCIUnZVjQ

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
black89t;1966937 said:
yeah i have the springs in my mvr44 for 15psi so that was as low as i could go. even though i think at 15 it was perfect. just needed to drive better and a little smoother to be faster.

That's the biggest thing I have to remember for autox. Smooth = fast. Even though hammering the throttle through decending turns, and drifting my MR2 around corners is fun...it's not really fast...even though it feels fast. You are your fastest when you actually feel like you're going kind of slow...because the car is under control and you are driving the shortest distance to save time.

It's a blast though. I'm sure I would completely suck if I drove the Supra instead of my MR2. Too much powaz!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
^^^ Reminds me one time I saw a Dodge neon rental car stomping the competition. It was automatic at that. All of the "real" sports car guys had no comments to make that day. Every time the Neon would stage it would draw a crowd. Then when they'd announce his time everybody would cheer with laughter and disbelief. It was funny.

P.S. I still don't like the GoPro's sound. They really need to improve that.