Running...off?

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
So I woke my mk3 from a week long slumber and she seems to be having a few issues. Idle is at about 680 warm, usually higher. I THINK I hear a lifter sticking even when its warm and it never did that before. Some kind of clicking of some sort, i'm sure you guys know what I mean. There was a small amount of black stuff on the inside of the exhaust when i stuck my finger in to see. The fuel ratio stays around 15 at the most lean wise and 13.9 at the most fuel wise but typically bounces in the 14 range and the target a/f is 14.7.

anyone have any suggestions on raising the idle a bit and what the noise could be? oil was on point and so was everything else, could the sootish type substance be because of the excess fuel on startup? it's in the 30s here currently.

This is a 2jz on 7m electronics running a maft pro piggyback.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You can adjust the idle up with the idle adjustment screw. I think mine idles a bit high but I like it around 950 to 1000.

You may have a small vacuum leak causing the inconsistent afr's. Mine fluctuates like that also though. I can't seem to get it to stay steady. Once I used the Irridium plugs and it idled like a Singer sewing machine. They didn't like large amounts of boost though so I swapped them for the NGK's.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
suprahero;2036262 said:
You can adjust the idle up with the idle adjustment screw. I think mine idles a bit high but I like it around 950 to 1000.

You may have a small vacuum leak causing the inconsistent afr's. Mine fluctuates like that also though. I can't seem to get it to stay steady. Once I used the Irridium plugs and it idled like a Singer sewing machine. They didn't like large amounts of boost though so I swapped them for the NGK's.

yeah sometimes they're great and very little flux and other times it's sporadic. But once i'm on the road there don't seem to be any issues. I adjusted my idle to 980ish and I love it there.