RSR springs, Illumina II struts, Tanabe Sways

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
So im considering getting -

RSR springs
Tokico Illumina IIs
Tanabe Sway bars [f/r]

My question is, for the RSR springs, theres a race type [spring rate 12kg for front and 6kg for rear] but I cant find anything for the other spring set they offer. Can anyone shine some light on this? Thanks

Also, what would you think of my setup? I want a linear rate spring, and I want to keep TEMS. Dont know anything about Tanabe sways, but are the thickest I could find.

Thanks in advance! :D

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I wish I had more data so I could give a better answer. I don't have any stiffness data on the Tanabes, so I can't say how they would work with those spring rates. But with your other requirements, it seems that you don't have too many things to pick from. If you want TEMS, you need the illuminas. I'm not sure what other linear springs are available in OE fitment. I don't think the other RSR springs are linear. But I would suggest an adjustable sway bar rather than the Tanabes, so something like the whitelines. This will allow you to use the sway bars better. The biggest benefit of a sway bar is being able to adjust the understeer/oversteer balance of the car. With an adjustable bar, this is very easy to do. With a non-adjustable bar, you're stuck changing out the bar if you need to make a change.

But without sway bar rates, I can't say too much more about them. I don't know how much stiffer the Tanabe bars are over stock or versus whitelines. Hopefully I will know soon.

Tim

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
There are other linear springs available if you decide on something other than the RSR's.

Whiteline, Tanabe, & ST.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
What other linear springs? Any of them as stiff as the RSRs? Im really considering just getting rid of TEMS, just wonder how hard TEMS delete is to do.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Why don't you do some research on the springs that Piratetip posted. I don't know the rates off the top of my head. And depending on what dampers and what type of setup you go with, you're options could be opened up. If you go with a Bilstein or Koni with a spring sleeve, you could use any normal 2.5" ID coilover spring.

And a TEMS delete? You just unplug stuff and get rid of the actuators. Then TEMS won't do anything anymore. You could get rid of the TEMS ecu and control and wiring if you really wanted to, but that's a lot more work.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
RSR, Eibach and TRD are about the only springs heavier than stock (that I've found). Of those only the RSR is a linear rate. I think most mk3 shelf springs were offered for a lower, plush ride not motorsports intention.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I would definitely recommend a Koni or Bilstein setup over the ksports. They will ride and handle better and probably not be too much more. Then you can use a spring sleeve and normal 2.5" ID coil springs.

But it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want to just slam it, then Ksports would work. If you want it to ride and handle well, then Koni or Bilstein would be a better choice.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Ah ok. Thanks a lot!!

I think im gonna go with Bilstein [or maybe Koni?] and RSR springs, along with either whiteline sways [if i can get them] or the tanabes.

Again, thanks!

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Where could I buy other 2.5" ID coil springs? I honestly have no clue. hah and what would you recommend? I want something similar to the RSR spring rates.

Thanks! :D

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Ah, just ordered the RSRs and Konis. Sways coming later. [my "spend it" account is running low] hah. But when the RSRs go out, ill try those hypercoils. How much does a set go for? With spring rates that you would recommend for weekend tracking and daily driving.

Thanks!

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Hypercoils are usually around $60 each. So $240 for all 4 in pretty much any rate you would want and different sizes.

As for rates, read some of my other posts in here and you'll realize why I can't say what rates I would recommend. It depends on a lot of things.