RPM gauge issue (I'd appreciate your opinion).

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Alrighty. So, first of all I have searched and tried just about all available options to fix my issue.. However, even though something of this nature usually seems (taken from my research) to be simple wiring issue, it would seem that the problem I have had is not after trial and error.

When the swap was originally completed a few years back, the RPM gauge worked for a few hours on the dyno and eventually went sort of haywire and decided to die for good. Anyhow, ever since I have been driving without one (stock tach) or instead by looking over into the glovebox where my AFC Neo is located for an rpm reading (which has functioned fine for that time).

I managed to pick up a GA70 9k tach for my car from a good buddy of mine thinking that may solve the issue since a previous aftermarket tach worked just fine tapped off the AFC signal. The gauge (an STRI) was not calibrated correctly from the factory though, so I had to return it. —sigh.

After installing the 1g tach into the cluster and connecting the stock wire, nothing seemed to happen when the motor was running. Then I tried running the wire from the AFC and no results either. Lastly, I used SupraStanger's amongst others advice to run a wire from the IGN- pin on the diagnostic port and not surprisingly still no signal to the tach. Following this rather lengthy list of falures especially knowing the AFC and that other gauge once functioned, I started to think well hell maybe it's the cluster after all despite the rest of the gauges working just fine. With that in mind I jumpered an IGN+ and Earth signal from the water temp gauge (works fine AFAIK) and re-connected the wire straight to the screw on the back of the cluster once again and there is simply no change.

Now, I want to thank all who actually made it through reading all that alive.. If you somehow manage to have any thoughts on this matter please do not hesitate to post them. I am thinking that the only option left is to buy another cluster and try that.. but that may not solve anything.

Thanks for your time, patience, and any other sort of informed advice you may give me.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
First of all, thanks for the reply.

All the factory plugs were swapped in favor of the JZA ones.. doesn't matter though as IH2 IIRC is the JZ equivalent of M1 and that same wire running into the plug is IGN- which is also the same wire running to the diagnostic port on the motor.

The fact that the AFC gets RPM signal bothers me quite a bit. I checked Apexi's diagrams and it turns out that the AFC when wired correctly taps a signal off of IGF from the ECU, but my understanding is that this also translates to the same ignitor signal.

So, perhaps the AFC is screwing up my signal somehow is scenario 1. Though my tach worked when the car was first swapped so the logic there seems flawed.

Scenario 2 is to run a wire straight off the ignitor itself bypassing close to every issue there could possibly be outside of the ignitor being bad (not the case).

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

Do you think there is any way the cluster itself could be causing these issues? (Taking into consideration that I've tried jumpering wires on the trace sheet to working gauges to make sure the gauge has power.)

Also, if you or anyone else could answer this. Do all 1ggte tachometers have a turbo light? The one I bought off my buddy does not seem to have this despite it working in his jza70 apparently (offering evidence to the contrary). I was thinking perhaps it could have been an N/A 1G tach and that would explain why none of my solutions have worked. That would mean my original gauge went bad and by putting in an N/A gauge another error of a different sort would have been created.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
The turbo light is on in my 1GGTE tach all the time. If you have a NA cluster, I thought there was more to swap out than just the tach guage.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Try a new ignitor, maybe the IGN- signal is dead from the ignitor (that drives the tach). I'm not sure how to test it with a multi meter, maybe someone else will know?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
tissimo;1540733 said:
Try a new ignitor, maybe the IGN- signal is dead from the ignitor (that drives the tach). I'm not sure how to test it with a multi meter, maybe someone else will know?

thanks for the reply.

will the car start without an ign- signal present? i was under the impression that it would not because the ecu reads ign- against other signals.. is this false?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
tissimo;1540784 said:
Nope ign- is only for the tach and I think the hydro fan ecu. The ecu doesn't see the signal iirc.

hm, then perhaps I should look into that ASAP. I happen to be running a chaser ignitor.. could that be the reason for any of these issues in itself?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
UPDATE: ran wire directly from IGN- pin on the ignitor directly to the cluster and still no cigar.. I have tried two tachs, two clusters and two ignitors. I suppose I'll just have to go to aftermarket tach that uses a different signal for RPM. It's a real shame because I wanted to use this 1GGTE tach so bad haha.

If anyone has any other ideas, feel free.. otherwise I'm on to bigger and better things (that will function).