Royal Purple Oil - Turbo Killer?

Kwan

Jan 4, 2007
South Australia
Hi, I wanted to see if anyone knows much about royal purple oil. I've been asking around and I've heard mixed feelings towards it. Apparently through the grape vine I've heard that royal purple isn't a particularly good oil to use if you have a turbo and that greddy won't warranty their turbo's if you use the oil. I was about to use it but people have come to me with stories about people blowing turbo's. Does anyone know if there is any truth to it?

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
this is the only oil i have used in my 7m-gte. although i have a ball bearing turbo, im not sure what ill effects it would have on a typical thrust washer turbo.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
This is the first time I have ever heard this clam.

Any one have any links / facts for this beside what the parts guy at the local parts store told you? My self, I don't use it, rater Redline, but would still like to read some facts on this.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I've used it for the last three years on my jz motor with no harmful effects at all. I've had the same turbo on for this amount of time also and it acts like it's brand new.

I did read once that is was made for people that race and change their oil on a much more regular basis than three to five thousand miles.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
This is interesting since RP uses the most common synthetic base stock (PAO) you see in the high quality oils...the same base stock German Castrol utilizes. The difference is in the add pack. Think about this for a minute - if RP contained additives that would cause a turbo to fail, would it not also cause other mechanical parts requiring lubrication on the motor to fail as well? I do think there are other PAO motor oils out there that are a better choice vs RP due to the add pack, but there is noting wrong with using RP. In fact, there are a number of guys that use it in the 7M, 1J, and 2J motors with great success...Supracentral is one of them in his MK IV and has posted a UOA in this section.

Kwan - the people that have these "stories" are clueless and are blaming an oil for something they did to the turbo, like inadequate oil flow or failure to provide a filtered (clean) oil source. Or, even more likely, the turbo was not assembled properly. This is speculation - I can tell you with 100% accuracy that the oil itself was not the cause on a properly built turbo with a properly sized/filtered oil source.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
5w 30 is what I"ve been using. I"m not an oil expert in any way shape form or fashion. I more than likely read it on here somewhere that that is what I'm suppose to use. I don't know one weight fron another.