Royal Purple break-in oil?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Note that it says "particularly those using flat-tappet cams" like you find on the old Chevy motors...that pretty much means it has a fairly high dose of ZDDP in the add pack. The engines you find in Supra's don't require the same levels as a flat-tappet cam engine. While it shouldn't hurt anything, a straight high quality HD 30W oil will do just as well and be a lot less expensive. Considering the time a break-in oil is in the engine, it would be a waste of $$$.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
redline makes something like this, it treats up to 12 quarts of oil per bottle. so you could "treat" your engine for two changes after a rebuild.

and they call it a "break-in" oil also...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes, Red Line does make a additive they call "Engine Break-in"...it too is for flat-tappet motors. It contains ZDDP as well.

A little background on why the RP break-in oil and Red Line additive exist. Zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP) is a high pressure anti-wear additive that was in common use in motor oils. API service specification SM and CJ-4 oils have greatly reduced the amount of ZDDP allowed to meet emissions standards...it can damage the new high efficiency catalytic converters. The biggest reductions was in the diesel oils. However, Chevron Delo 400 and Shell Rotella T (both SL/CI-4) still have higher amounts of ZDDP.

This was discovered as a problem by the classic muscle car crowd running flat-tappet cam motors. They started having cam lobe failures using the SM specification oils (like Mobil 1)...seems these motors need the ZDDP additive and Chinese tappets were not as good quality as US tappets. I answered this in a thread a while back:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68142

In the SM specification oils other anti-wear additives have taken the place of ZDDP, but has increased the complexity of the oil formulation. The good thing about ZDDP is it is also a good antioxidant and corrosion/rust inhibitor.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Comment from the page, when I looked at it......

“I thought motor oil was motor oil ’till I saw an auto show that talked about Royal Purple. I put it in my slightly modified 2002 Camaro and it made a very noticeable difference!! ...Your oil has smoothed it out COMPLETELY!!!!"

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Keep in mind, this version of RP is break-in oil ;)

Their standard line of oils is ok to use (it's a PAO base), but German Castrol is better due to the add pack IMO. Stay away from the XPR line..."Racing" oil is not better for use in a street machine.