ROUGH IDLE, I hate OBD1

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
I cant seem to figure this out.

bouncing at idle, number 2 is running rich.

I did a compression check and they are all at 160psi. Spec is +/- 5psi they are all spot on.

all other spark plugs are clean. I replaced the coil/wire/plug to make sure and its still hoping at idle.

I the injector clip off and no change in idle

Other injectors change idle (except number 6??)

I took a tester light and put it to ground. both pins on the injector have power??? except 2 and 6. Is this a ECU problem?? also number 6 has normal color for a plug.

any advice would be awesome.

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
I have had a code 51, Its been like that for a while though, It ran fine with it. I ran it again with no change. I wish i had a spare ECU

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
jetjock;1840414 said:
Not a shot. Just means what I said in the other thread: back to basics.

Btw if your 51 is TPS related the Idle Speed Control System won't be functional.

I have thought about that. the only thing i can say is I have had that code before any of this. I see other spark plugs with normal color and number two is black. Replaced the coil/wire/plug and still no change and a bouncing at idle. I unplug each injector and they change idle except number two (and number 6 but the plug looks fine) I am looking for advice. I am thinking injector/wiring or ECU. thannks

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
I know the ECU is a long shot... I am thinking about replacing that injector and seeing what happens. why would one cylinder by running rich??

TPS was replaced trying to clear code 51. it is installed IAW manual.

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
SupraBo;1840371 said:
Other injectors change idle (except number 6??)

I took a tester light and put it to ground. both pins on the injector have power??? except 2 and 6. Is this a ECU problem?? also number 6 has normal color for a plug.

any advice would be awesome.

Leaking injector or sticking injector?? swap it with #1 and see if the problem follows the injector.

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
Tester light by that do you mean a noid light or a test light?(isnt a test light a bad thing for injectors?) I believe both pins should have power as the ECU controls the ground. Looking at the wiring diagram, the injectors are group fired( im inclined to say if 2 doesnt work then 5 wont work or 6 and 1, someone correct me if im wrong.) If all injectors are getting power and a ground, then it could be a flow problem at the injector.

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
jetjock;1840645 said:
Leaky injector would show up on a rest pressure check. Just sayin'.

A static pressure test? wouldnt you have to eliminate the fuel pressure regulator and the residual check valve as possible sources of dropping pressure?

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
jetjock;1840764 said:
Yes but since they don't normally leak if pressure holds the injector would be verified. That said what he ought to do is a drop test using a pulser. I'm guessing he doesn't have one though.

I dont have a pulser, I used a stethoscope to listen to each injector for operation. I was going to take a O-scope to see what the signal is to each injector but i havent done that yet. I was confused on the polarity because I was getting grounds to each pin except number 2 and 6. Looking at the schematic I was thinking that was wrong... Thats why i asked about a bad ECU... I was going to replace injectors to see if that would change what is going on.