Rough estimate on (self) repair?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Am I missing something? If you are going to do all the work yourself go price the parts your going to replace and ta-da, you have how much it will cost you.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
7M4EVR;1951043 said:
Am I missing something? If you are going to do all the work yourself go price the parts your going to replace and ta-da, you have how much it will cost you.
I don't have a firm grasp on car mechanics, I'm good with computers and it feels similar enough that I've been fine doing all my own repairs.
But I'm not sure what parts I need

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If you're going to replace the valve stem seals, it's probably a good idea to plan on replacing a lot of the gaskets on the top of the engine. Valve cover gaskets will almost certainly need to be replaced, and the PCV hoses are probably going to be extra crunchy. If you've got a 7M-GE, you should plan on replacing the intake manifold gaskets for the Y pipe.

Once you have those parts off, you should also plan on at least inspecting, if not replacing the spark plugs. (You'll need to pull the spark plugs in order to get the valve stem seals anyway.)

If you don't already have tools, factor that in as a cost as well. For this job, a basic metric socket set, metric wrench set and screwdriver set should be adequate. Also commonly used for this job, a length of 3/8" nylon rope to keep the valves from falling while you have the keepers off. Also, a box of ziplock bags and a sharpie will come in handy for keeping stuff labelled as you take it off.

If you have to remove the head, things start increasing on a pretty steep slope for required tools, not just parts.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Dan_Gyoba;1951091 said:
If you've got a 7M-GE, you should plan on replacing the intake manifold gaskets for the Y pipe.
7M-GTE Stock turbo

Tools I'm pretty set, I can borrow just about anything you can imagine tool-wise from my grandfather or my uncle.

Valve Stems 35-45$
Valve Cover Gaskets ?$ - ?$
PCV hoses ?$ - ?$

What would I need to remove the head for? if there are any reasons?

(Not being lazy, I just like having your guys opinions over the kids at Napa, you guys certainly know more.)

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
Removing head is just basic tools. You'll need torque wrench afterwards. I recommend doing valve stem seals with head off in my opinion. The other way seems to sketchy to me.lol

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
mcammarn;1951108 said:
Removing head is just basic tools. You'll need torque wrench afterwards. I recommend doing valve stem seals with head off in my opinion. The other way seems to sketchy to me.lol
Alright :) Sounds good, thank you very much.

So as for a parts-list, is there anything else I should look into aside from these?

PCV Hoses
Valve Stems
Valve Cover Gaskets

80083r

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If you remove the head, I would absolutely get the head machined. In which case, you can just give the machine shop the new valve stem seals, since they'll be removing the valves.

You cannot (Or really SHOULD not) use a metal head gasket if you remove the head, unless you're going to tear down the block, and get that machined as well.

For removing the head, the 10mm allen key socket for the stock head bolts is somewhat unusual. I also wouldn't want to pull the head with the engine still in the car. It can be done, but I wouldn't, so a hoist and an engine stand would be good ideas.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Kiraush;1951135 said:
Alright :) Sounds good, thank you very much.

So as for a parts-list, is there anything else I should look into aside from these?

PCV Hoses
Valve Stems
Valve Cover Gaskets

Since you will already have the valve covers off you may want to replace the grommets and the screws that hold the valve covers down. These screws don't need to be super tight also. The torque spec on them is something like 22 in-lbs. Also, if you have oil around your spark plugs you will want to replace the #3 valve cover gasket (the black rubberized piece in-between the two valve covers).