Ross piston ring questions

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
I have a set of ross pistons #99812 they are listed as .017 over or 83.4 mm. I called Mike Laduca at Ross tech line and he said that the plant where the rings were made was sold and the rings are no longer available. He said that they could custom cut a set of rings for me but it would be $$$. The machine shop says that I could get a set of rings for a standard .20 over or 83.5mm and he could end file them to work and that would most likely be what I would be getting "custom cut" anyway. Any ideas on this.
Is this ok. If any of ya'll have an extra set of Ross rings or know a store that might have some old stock let me know. Thanks

80083r

what is the clearance tolerance on rings? What is the actual measurement of the rings?

Talking out of my nether hole (not a mechanic, or engineer - but have some engineering training) the .003 difference is pretty small - for example, I know that the tolerance on most (small calibre) firearms is about +/-.003. So, if the actual .020 / 83.5mm rings are at the bottom end of their tolerance, they will likely be very close to the size of the .017/83.4mm rings at the top end of their tolerance.

No warranty expressed or implied, ymmv, ianal, etc. etc...