Rod Knock, Bearing Replacement

Digilog

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary
Hello All,

I am new to SM but not to Supra's. I just picked up an 86.5 on the cheap becuase it has rod knock. It has a good body, needs some minor cosmetics. On the whole I am super excited to be a supra owner again.

Now I have searched but didn't find what i was looking for. I have heard rumors of people pulling the oil pan and crossmember and doing the bearings from under the car?

Any truth to this myth? if so any tips?

TIA

Digilog/Carl

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Can be done, but you do not need to drop the crossmember.

Just undo the engine mounts at the cradle, and jack up the engine slightly so you can get the pan in and out. (Or is it out and in..)

Be prepared to find more than just a rod bearing failure.. It's not uncommon to see the rod journal screwed up as well, and that generally requires the engine to come out, and be rebuilt in most cases.

Good luck.

bigboost7m

Apr 20, 2005
Center Line, MI
Yeah that would work. But if it was me personally, I would remove the engine and trans, fix the issue, and then you'll have a chance to go through and check everything else as well (who knows what else could be lurking around the corner......dare I say it, BHG? lol). That will also give you the oppurtunity to re-seal everything too. Its really not that difficult to remove the engine, just do a search of the forum, im sure there is a well-written technical guide that can help you out. And you can sleep good at night knowing your baby has a fresh engine.