-Rich's rebuild

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
jtamulis said:
Retail on the JT62P is $1500... :cool:. You basicly got that setup for my cost.

$600 bux is hard to compete with... :biglaugh:

Here's my cheesy video for IJ: http://www.poweredbythought.com/suprarebuild2006/video_misc/supra01.wmv

For the 56K guys (7.7M file) it is my 87T running the speed density MAFTPRO on the base setting provided by Dr. J ont he general instruction sheet.

You'll have to excuse the smoke between shifts. The first puff is the coolant line, the second is more coolant spewing all over my clean engine. :icon_mad: I blame IJ because he instigated the video idea and Jeff T. for that for no particular reasons. :icon_razz

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
-Rich87Tx2 said:
$600 bux is hard to compete with... :biglaugh:
:icon_razz

God I wish I could get them for that! making $900 per turbo profit *drool*

$1250-$1300 looks like will be my cost on these setups. more with the
intake and shipping.

Jeff

Last edited:

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
Sorry Jeff - I didn't have much luck with the datalog/boost thing... The main reason I'm not commenting solid numbers is because the datalog showed that I hit 5900RPM, which is mostly impossible as I short shifted every gear @ 4,500RPM. The other major reason is that *I* botched the run. I did a standing start (yes, I'm retarded) instead of a smooth 3rd gear pull. I had a slew of other things show up under boost that caused problems I wasn't expecting:

The base settings for the MAFTPRO expect a 0.5-4.5v signal from the TPS. My TPS puts out .48-3.38v which is within Toyota spec BUT on my boosted run, the MAFTPRO was waiting for a 3.80v signal (~80%+ throttle) before going closed loop and for one (?) of it's boost control settings. My Vf went off the chart and the TCCS just started pumping fuel into the motor - which why you see three large clouds of black smoke in the video (or in the high res version anyway). The AVC-r & S-AFC always took the highest voltage it saw and set that to 100% so this was a new 'problem' for me. The white cloud of smoke between 1-2nd gear is the coolant line. :biglaugh: The car sounded good, but the AFR was 10:1 or worse. According to the datalog, I apparently pussed out and only opened the throttle 90% in first gear too... :icon_mad: To top THAT off, the MAFTPRO started the wastegate cycling at 1PSI and the 2,500RPM range so there is much potential for faster spooling once I get the wastegate solenoid to stay closed.

Short summary - the data is bunk. From a standing start through first the log says it built 1PSI @ 2600RPM at 80% throttle (feathered launch), 4PSI @ 4300RPM (80%T), 6PSI @ 4700 (90%T), 7PSI @ 5,000RPM (90%T), 6PSI @ 5,500RPM (90%T). I'm 100% certain I only hit a max of 4,500RPM on that section, despite the 5950RPM max readout. You can clearly hear the short shift in the video and at 5950RPM I would have been well into the rev limiter.

I changed my TPS this morning to try to eliminate the 3.38V 'problem'. I now get .52-3.53v range so it looks like I'll be changing the MAFTPRO settings at this point. I'll get a third gear pull tonight with any luck. I drove the hell out of the car last night since it was nice and cool. Jeff described this as the bread and butter turbo and I think that's a great description. It just starts blowing and you wait for it, and wait for it and then you realize it's already there... Of course I'm only running 6-7PSI - used to run 19psi on a 60-1 CT-26. :love: I don't why, but this motor has TONS more torque than any other motor I've ever built. I don't know if it's the P-trim housing flowing well or what. I was expectng a drop in manifold backpressure and a minor reduction in torque.

Last edited:

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
My goal was simply to have the best all around street turbo for the MKIII:
1) starts making boost early (on your datalogs it goes to 0.1psi at 1870rpm)
2) comes on smooth, so it doesn't shock the street tires loose and gives you traction
3) makes 15psi of boost by 3000rpm
4) has a free flowing exhaust housing so it doesn't fall on its face at 5500rpm
5) has the ability to make 450rwhp on pump gas
6) has the ability to make 550rwhp on race gas
7) and be the quickest spooling turbo able to make those numbers
8) be cheaper than any other turbo setup that can make those claims.
9) be a better quality than any other turbo setup that can make those claims.

hopefully I have done so. when you get your car all perfectly sorted out I'd love to get
some hard numbers and see how my turbo really works in the real world. Lots of turbos
want to do ^^^ , and on paper are awesome. I think mine does it in real life.

Jeff

Last edited:

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Yep.
I'm actually thinking of making a group buy to get it started with a 5-person
buy-in. No BB option at this time, but it'll pretty much just about everything
you need to install it on a car for like $1500-ish. I'll pretty much make sure I
have my suppliers ready to know I'm about to start buying, and then offer the
group buy. Then hopefully we'll have a bunch of people all with 500rwhp Daily
Driver MKIIIs.

Jeff

Last edited:

evil_shenron

Aug 12, 2005
santa maria
Dude friggin loved the narrative im doing like the same shit right now and just you goin thru and explainin it all helps me get a better idea with maft, ps, afpr and bunch of other shit im doin right now. thx for takin the time to do that appreceiate it.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
nice vid rich!

as far as the conflicting numbers, are you sure the sw versions match up? jojo's log was all whacked out until i had set to the right version.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
dbsupra90 said:
nice vid rich!

as far as the conflicting numbers, are you sure the sw versions match up? jojo's log was all whacked out until i had set to the right version.

Aside from not tuning, my MAFTPRO is 100% setup right. Connections soldered, software updated, etc. No probs there (other than a software bug only I seem to have - no rewind on logs).

Turns out the datalogs don't lie. I tend to drive by "feel' in a major way. I feel and know the car inside and out (raced it for 8 years). I'm used to the 54 through 60-1 CT26 where it spools right up and you have to feather the throttle to keep the tires from spinning. I made 323RWHP on 9psi at the Toronto Canada meet, and later ran 19psi everyday. My old motors in this car have had a progressive vibration (6M crank, UD pulley, etc.) that I could gauge RPM from. It made for an aggressive feeling car which was fairly quick (12's). I don't have that now. It has the manners of a Camry - which are the manners I wanted from this daily driver. I've left it on the turbo-timer twice now, touched the hood and had second thoughts about whether or not it's running. Basically I'm not used to the smooth feel of the this new engine. There's no "hit" as the turbo comes online. I don't feel like I need to hang on, but I can tell the car is moving out.

Reviewing the logs, I can see that I am still feathering the throttle in anticipation of the old power surge. That's one of the major reasons I'm having such a hard time logging a solid run for Jeff. I think I have it, then I look a the logs and I'm at 80% throttle for the 1000-2000RPM range for no reason. :3d_frown: When I forced myself to watch the tach, I was shifting at 5,500RPM exactly, but the motor would continue up to 5900RPM. I think this is due to one of the "decay" settings in the MAFTPRO as I've noticed that the motor, um, hangs or revs between normal shifts. Lots of tuning to do...

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
smokey said:
hahah that video was all class

'thats what i get for listening'

hahah

I just watched it again for the first time. I can't believe I said "I think it for a honda intake or something..." :biglaugh: Next time I'm writing a script. :icon_bigg

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
evil_shenron said:
lmao yea u said it so seriously that it might be true haha

It might be... We were joking last night that it would get posted to a few honda forums and I'd have 4,000 angry Honda owners show up on my yard Friday night. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

We ran 15psi last night. Without having the datalogs all I can say is the car moves out of it's own way now. Starts building boost @ 1200-1300RPM. Slow climb to 7PSI and then it rapidly climbs to 15psi in a split second. 15psi solid under 4000RPM with room to improve that a bit. @ 15psi the car is just gone.

I have a friend helping with the laptop side of things just to be safe. That guy has a very nice swapped Silva on 19psi and it's pretty damn quick. He had run around with me on 7psi just learning the MAFTPRO and getting miles on the car. At 7psi he wanted me to ride in his car because it's quick... At 15psi, he was pretty impressed...

I'll get some video of the boost gauge verses RPM.