replacin rod bearings with engine in?

nrdriver

Mar 2, 2012
salem oregon
i know this isnt a good idea. metal debris etc. but are there any tips on doin it by raisin the engine. i need to extend my cars life by one month and i know the risks. bad rod knock. i have three kids and no way to get to work till taxes come in. just lookin for tips. i will rebuild the whole engine soon. if your gonna waste my time tellin me its a bad idea dont bother. thanks

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
You need to support the engine and drop the front cross member to get enough room to remove the oil pan. If the bearing spun in the rod they are no good. You would need to replace or resize the rods. If not the bearings won't last at all. Did the engine oil get low?

Chances are if there is rod knock, the crank is toast. If its a cast crank, I would put money on it that the crank will not be able to be used even with machine work. Forged crank there can be a small chance of reusing the crank. Ive had bearings spin and rattle and be able to install new bearings and go, but this was on a forged crank and it was not KNOCKING just a light rattle.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Forged crank stock.

As long as its not too far gone it can be machined and polished.

If it does have rod knock already new bearings are not going to last much.