Removing Rear Speaker Covers

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
This morning, having a Supra and not being able to drive it was getting to me so I decided to investigate my speakers a little. I was able to remove the door speaker covers with no problems, but when I got to the mid-rear covers I experienced the dreaded "Snap! Crap!" sensation. :cry:

I am pretty sure that these are speaker covers, as my car is a '90 (and JDM if that makes a difference) but I couldn't figure out how to remove them without breaking it further. The whole trim piece sits so tightly that I can't tell if it has the same tension clips that the door covers do.

If you look closely at the top right of the cover you will see where it doesn't sit flush - that's where I broke it.

I welcome all suggestions; am I just being a ham-fisted moron, or is there something I don't know? I did do some searching but I didn't come up with anything.

BTW, what is the little fuzzy rectangular bit on the door panel underneath the speaker? (sorry about the not-technical nomenclature - see pic)

Attachments

• Mid-Rear Speaker Cover.JPG
    Mid-Rear Speaker Cover.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Fuzzy thing under speaker.JPG
    Fuzzy thing under speaker.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 30

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
modmonster2008;1242861 said:
i think the side speaker covers are screwed onto the panels from the back unlike the fronts and rear ones

Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear, only because I have the car all tarped and covered, save for a couple ties by the door to let me in.

Besides, I need to replace the hatch lifters, and I tend to get irrationally angry when it falls down and hits me.:icon_evil

Thanks though, at least now I know where to start, and how not to crack the other one.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
you don't need the hatch for that you just remove the interior trim around the back seats for that. its not to hard and they are held in from the back. you should be able to remove the trim in bout and hour or so. if you need further help hit me up. also there was a thread bout it like a couple weeks ago but it was in the general section.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
i believe you would need to remove the seat bench and one of the seat backs to get at a few screws that hold the panel to get to the speaker itself. as for the fuzzy bit piece u were talking about right under the speaker on the door itself, i believe thats for the speaker bass port, usually when u play bass music thats where the air exitis out, at least thats how i can explain it, but its just the cover for the speaker pod bass port

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Groovy, thanks guys, and thank you for the offer of help, also. Oncce the snow's gone, or I get antsy again, I'll have a stab at it and see what comes about. It's not crucial, I'm just curious to know what kind of speakers are in there.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
The fronts are Alpine Type S, and the rears are some kind of Sony. When I do the stereo install I likely won't be using the rears anyways, so I'm not too concerned about those. I just thought if the rears or mid-rears were decent I could re-use them somewhere else or sell them. I'll worry about that all later though.

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
Someone correct me if im wrong but, the front speakers are 4" right?

EDIT: Im sorry, i must have been on crack when i asked that question as i failed to realize the stickied thread about speaker sizes. sorry about busting in on this thread.

Last edited: