Removing gte

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
I am currently in the process of removing my 7mgte. I have everything disconnected and borrowed a 1 ton harbor freight (pittsburg brand?) lift from my dad which he used to swap a rebuilt engine into a rav 4. Worked great for him, not so much for me. The boom doesn't seem to be long enough. When I swapped the gte into my car (and swapped the GE out), I remember the crank pulled always hitting the radiator cross member. But it wasn't as bad as it is this time.

Any certain size/brand lift you guys recommend using?

Thanks!

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
The lighter duty lifts don't allow the boom to extend out as far. Some have had to remove the front bumper and others have been able to go from the side. I'm not sure if either is an option for you. A leveler definitely helps, especially when putting the engine back in. I have the 2 ton lift from Harbor Freight that works well.

RS713

Jul 18, 2012
Guam
Hi, I just recently dropped my motor in 2 weekends ago for only the 2nd time so I'm still relatively new compared to the OG's in here. I used load leveler. That really helps when trying to get the motor to fall in. If you are really far from your mark, remove the front bumper. That should give you a couple more inches of play which should do the trick.

V/R
Ray