Remember that evil VW I had that I hated?

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
So, may Satan's VW RIP(pieces).
VW.jpg

So, some jackhole cut down a 3-foot thick tree and drug it up to the road with the base of the trunk sitting on the yellow line. During the rainy weather, I (using my lack-of-sleep impaired excellent judgement) reach down for my sweet tea and drift my right tires off the curb. Under other circumstances, this would be a forgivable offense and easily corrected, but Murphy's Law was strong with me tonight. I had driven carefully in the rain all night. I had actually pulled over TWICE to respond to text messages because I didn't want to text and drive in this rain. One dumb reach for the drink at the wrong moment, and about 10 seconds later (felt like a lot longer than that, but I'm being conservative), and the SatanMobile is smashed. But first, the car launched into a series of acrobatic maneuvers I can hardly describe. I do recall the airbags going off, then the car was on its side, then gravity was going the wrong way, then finally gravity was fixed and the car slid to a stop.
Having never been in a car wreck before, I was not expecting the clouds of smoke in the cabin. Upon noting the smoke and the heat, I was like "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck got to get out NOW" and I had the seatbelt off and the door open before the car had stopped sliding. My first thought was fire, but the cop later informed me that the airbags were responsible.
Interestingly, once I was out of the car, I couldn't get the doors back open. The frame is bent on the right side, and the car slid on its left side (depositing my left mirror in the back seat via the rear window in the process), thus jamming both doors.

In retrospect, maybe the SatanMobile wasn't so bad. I have no injuries.

PS: while I call the guy that put the tree on the road edge a jackhole, I DO realize that this was my fault.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
There's something "off" in the car world, my 1996 2.2l accord blew it's headgasket yesterday on my way home. Anyways, glad you're ok Dude.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
CyFi6;1814232 said:
Damn dude glad you are OK, that sounds like it could have been a hell of a lot worse.
:thumbs_up: Not even a seatbelt bruise. Tell you whats cool though; at no point did I feel afraid. I mean, my blood was pumping like crazy and I knew I had to get out of the car pronto, but I never felt afraid. While I have no wish to experience this again, I have to admit: it was kind of a rush, lol. In the words of Johnny Knoxville, "That was fun lets never do it again"

subjug4tor

Man up, Nancy.
May 8, 2008
DFW, texas
flight doc89;1814274 said:
at no point did I feel afraid. I mean, my blood was pumping like crazy and I knew I had to get out of the car pronto, but I never felt afraid. While I have no wish to experience this again, I have to admit: it was kind of a rush, lol. In the words of Johnny Knoxville, "That was fun lets never do it again"

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
glad your ok... adrenalin is quite the drug...

any more picts of the car.... im kinda a crash junkie....

it is amazing how time stands still in a wreck....isnt it! when we wrecked that car in the mountains it seemed like the wreck was an hour long.... in reality it probably took 30 seconds
we flipped a lumina 2dr off the side of the mountain about 8 times... no fear on my part either... didnt even notice the broken arm either....well not right away! i take it you had your belt on... they do save lives!

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Suprizim TT;1814292 said:
:icon_bigg hahaha^^^

Op glad your okay... That sucks but at the same time your probably happy too.

Happy to have no injuries. And, I have to admit, I'm glad it was the bug instead of the truck, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind when I wanted to get rid of it. I even had a couple buyers lined up. Had just gotten it back out of the shop yesterday about 6 hours before this happened.

subjug4tor;1814297 said:
Adrenaline is a hell of a drug

I am actually pleased with myself for being able to react. Too many people I see just freeze up under any stress.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
In the words of Johnny Knoxville, "That was fun lets never do it again"
Definitely an experience to have, if only ONCE. :p

Myself, I made a Nissan two feet shorter than Nissan did when I was much younger. Hit the same wall with the front and rear of the car...

flight doc89;1814164 said:
...I had driven carefully in the rain all night. I had actually pulled over TWICE to respond to text messages because I didn't want to text and drive in this rain.
Emphasis on the "in this rain" bit... I'd hope you don't normally text and drive? :nono:

That said, glad you're alright. :)

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
te72;1814340 said:
Emphasis on the "in this rain" bit... I'd hope you don't normally text and drive? :nono:

That said, glad you're alright. :)

I'm an honest fellow. If the roads are clear and the sun is up, I'll respond to some messages. If the sun is down, or if it is raining, then no.
Reasoning: rain means decreased visibility, therefore less time to react. If the sun is down, it takes a couple of seconds for my eyes to adjust from the bright phone to the dark road.

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
:thumbs_up: Not even a seatbelt bruise. Tell you whats cool though; at no point did I feel afraid. I mean, my blood was pumping like crazy and I knew I had to get out of the car pronto, but I never felt afraid.

I remember the same when I was in my accident a few years ago. I didn't scream. I didn't panic. I didn't freeze. It was just "well, this sucks. Oh, and I gotta try to keep this car from careening into that monster dump truck coming in my direction."

And also, I respond to text messages, too, sometimes as long as there's not traffic. Some people are able to do it without forgetting they're also driving. I know plenty of people who can't find their turn signal (or change the radio station, or talk on the cell phone, or blink) without forgetting that they also have to keep their car on the road.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
flight doc89;1814613 said:
I'm an honest fellow. If the roads are clear and the sun is up, I'll respond to some messages. If the sun is down, or if it is raining, then no.
Reasoning: rain means decreased visibility, therefore less time to react. If the sun is down, it takes a couple of seconds for my eyes to adjust from the bright phone to the dark road.
Eh, at least you're honest about it. I've seen too many deer splattered trucks and cars around here to think it's a good idea to take eyes off the road for even a moment.

DreamerTheresa;1814615 said:
I remember the same when I was in my accident a few years ago. I didn't scream. I didn't panic. I didn't freeze. It was just "well, this sucks. Oh, and I gotta try to keep this car from careening into that monster dump truck coming in my direction."

And also, I respond to text messages, too, sometimes as long as there's not traffic. Some people are able to do it without forgetting they're also driving. I know plenty of people who can't find their turn signal (or change the radio station, or talk on the cell phone, or blink) without forgetting that they also have to keep their car on the road.
So, you didn't pull a Danica Patrick cover your eyes? :p

On the texting/driving issue, I'll admit too, I used to (before it was made illegal around here) text while driving. The caveat? I did it only on straight roads, and didn't take my eyes off the road. Kinda nice being able to type out exactly what you mean to say without needing to look down at the phone.

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
flight doc89;1814315 said:
Happy to have no injuries. And, I have to admit, I'm glad it was the bug instead of the truck, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind when I wanted to get rid of it. I even had a couple buyers lined up. Had just gotten it back out of the shop yesterday about 6 hours before this happened.

Damn that really sucks... Yeah I agree $$$ would have been better than the way it went out.