Relocated PS resevoir...now i get PS pump whine

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I relocated the resevoir finally over christmas break. I matched the hose size lines however wanted to give it a bit cleaner or an install so i used a few 90* elbows to move it over to where the engine bay fuse box is. It sprung a leak and i quickly as i could i took off the PS belt to prevent it from seazing, maybe 30 min of driving.

I replaced the belt and steering fluid and however had a brain fart when buying it and got Mercron V instead of Dexron. Now Mercron V meets dexron specs so i figured it would be ok. Started out with a whine after a day or so from new fluid. I figured the belt was loose since my tensioner doesn't work and didn't think anything of it. I eventually tightened the belt properly and whine remains.

There is enough fluid in there, and i checked for air by rotating the wheel to the extremities multiple times when i first added the new fluid. I have no leaks. I also notice weather impacts the whine quite a bit...the colder, the worse it is. It is starting to effect ease of turning the wheel.

Could it be the fluid?

Are the elbows causing too much restriction?

FYI - i placed the resevoir approx the same height above the pump as stock location, ran the lines along the bottom of the radiator. To help counter the change in line positions and supply pressure i added extra fluid to stock levels. I even made a few of the hoses clear ones to watch for air pockets entering the pump.

87 Turbo

Feb 9, 2008
St.Paul MN
I did this also and I have no pressure going to the rack. So now i have no more power steering. I convert it back to stock and I have power steering again. Don't know why but I left it alone.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
IwantMKIII;918064 said:
Could it be the fluid?

Are the elbows causing too much restriction?

restrictions are a bad thing in ps, and the fluid i would see what other's say but i didn't think it was recomended..

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
GrimJack;918217 said:
Considering the cost of replacement fluid (basically nothing...) just get the right stuff and replace it. If the whine goes away, problem solved.

If not, I guess you get to blame the elbows...

Fair enough, but i just figured someone might have some input on the fluid differences, its not exactly easy to just go swap out the fluid at school, especially when its snowing and about 8* outside :aigo:

IJ.;918247 said:
Did you clean the strainer in the reservoir while it was off?

sure did.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IwantMKIII;918767 said:
Fair enough, but i just figured someone might have some input on the fluid differences, its not exactly easy to just go swap out the fluid at school, especially when its snowing and about 8* outside :aigo:

sure did.

actually it is easy to flush at school with snow i did it in my lexus last year with a blizzard. all you need is a handpump for the resovoir that costs about 5$

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The reservior needs to be about the same height in the car as the pump or higher, otherwise it will drain back into the reservoir and cavitate every time you start the car. Have you ever seen a Toyota where the pump was higher then the reservior? Also, the return needs to be submersed in fluid, so if you bought a reservior that has a fitting for the return at the very top, it will make a lot of noise.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
IwantMKIII;918064 said:
FYI - i placed the resevoir approx the same height above the pump as stock location, ran the lines along the bottom of the radiator. To help counter the change in line positions and supply pressure i added extra fluid to stock levels. I even made a few of the hoses clear ones to watch for air pockets entering the pump.

bigaaron;922168 said:
The reservior needs to be about the same height in the car as the pump or higher, otherwise it will drain back into the reservoir and cavitate every time you start the car. Have you ever seen a Toyota where the pump was higher then the reservior?

No worries, i know all about the effects of gravity and pressure....as i should as a senoir MAE student ;)